NY, NY, It's a wonderful town?
Apr 19, 2007 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Grahame

100+ Head-Fier
Just a quick request for those of you from New York, who will be at the 2007 International Head-Fi Meet (HeadFest 2007)

My wife and I will be in New York in early June for a week, staying close to Central Park.

We spent 4 days there 2 years ago and managed to tick most of the items on the first time tourists check list.

Empire State Building [X]
Times Square [X]
Walk Across Brooklyn Bridge[X]
Boat Trip round Manhattan [X]
Central Park[X]
Katz's Deli[X]

Any "insider tips" would be most welcome, either here or at the meet.

In any event make yourself known, and I'll take it from there.

Those of you not fortunate enough to get to the meet, you're still welcome to post - although I'm not to certain that Joanne would relish the idea of several Head-Fi mini-meets being part of our itinerary
wink.gif

Being British ex-pats we had no problems with public transport, and the 7 day pass looks like a bargain for this trip.

Thanks in advance.
Grahame.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 20
lombardi's pizza
catch a mets game
the MoMA...the new building is very nice
there's a new antiquities exhibit at the Met opening this weekend, i believe
check out the apple store on 5th ave.
etc., etc., etc.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 20
1. The food is awesome. Check out some of the top place like Nobu, Le Bernardin, Jean Georges, Daniel, etc.

2. A Broadway show (although being from London, you would be less impressed).

3. The Met, MoMa, and a number of other museums.

4. Just walk around China Town, Little Italy, West Village, East Village.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4. Just walk around China Town, Little Italy, West Village, East Village.

Exactly. Just walk around and take in the sites. I highly recommend these neighborhoods. You should definitely check out lombardi's for pizza. I would also suggest picking up a copy of "time out new york" from the newsstands to get better acquainted with what's out there for you. It's a great magazine.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 20
We've got Nobu in London, and some other top places. For somewhere cool to eat (bit expensive) Go to The Meatpacking District, awesome food, it's near SoHo. Your wife will like shopping around there are well...
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 20
I would take out the Empire State building. It takes hours to get up and not worth it. You should do Top of the Rock (Rockafellers Center). That way you can see the Empire State building and it has nicer view of the Central Park area. You can get up there in 5 mins. Bring cameras for when the sun goes down.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 20
catch a Yankees came, not a Mets game. no matter which team you prefer, there should be no argument that Shea Stadium is a pit. like a giant Buick drove through Queens, hit a pothole and lost a hubcap that they turned into a stadium.
wink.gif

the Natural History Museum is also a must-see. the new Hall of Human Origins is a fantastic evolution exhibit... as are the Hall of Ocean Life, the totem pole room and the planetarium.

Apr 19, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 20
The Metropolitan Museum, even if all you do is visit the Temple of Dendur.

The Strand Bookstore at 12th and Broadway. Head straight for the stairs down to the basement and enjoy uncountable quantities of new and recent hardcover books (reviewers' copies) at 50% off.

La Lanterna di Vittorio to sit with a coffee and enjoy the contents of your bulging book bag.

Forbidden Planet at 13th and Broadway, for all your scifi/manga geek needs. While not a patch on the mothership back in London, it'll do until you get back home.

Apr 19, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 20
the absolute best live music scene in the country. walk around blindfolded for 10 minutes and you'll end up at a great jazz bar or alt rock club. i've only visited manhattan once (while visiting cornell) but wow, i can see why my dad loved it in ny state. not as good as this of course:

Quote:

Berry continues to perform regularly, playing both throughout the United States and overseas. He performs one Wednesday each month at Blueberry Hill, a restaurant and bar located in the Delmar Loop neighbourhood in St. Louis.

80 years old and still rockin'. but as a collective i love the new york music scene. sorry that i have no specific recommendations, though i'm sure some ny residents can give you a hand there. just try to drag your wife to see a good band perform!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back