NY Jets receiver Santonio Holmes threatens to blow up the plane by not turning off his iPod
Apr 30, 2010 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Wrist-Fi

Head-Fier
Well, OK he didn't actually threaten to blow up the plane, but the way everyone initially reacted, you might think he did:

Quote:

Santonio Holmes, the Jets’ recently acquired wide receiver, refused to turn off his iPod on a flight Thursday from Newark, N.J., to Pittsburgh, leading an airline employee to call ahead to the Allegheny County, Pa., police who met Holmes when he got off the Colgan Air flight at Gate B77 at Pittsburgh International Airport, an incident report said.

Holmes Chastised for iPod Incident - The Fifth Down Blog - NYTimes.com

I understand that it most the time it makes sense to cooperate with authorities, but to think that I could be viewed as threatening and be detained by police just because I was on a plane & wanted to finish listening to a good song strikes me as being...well, 'excessive' would be the kind way of putting it.

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 7
It's one of those fun things about airplane flight, since it becomes an offense to ignore the instructions of the flight crew and attendants. It might be a little excessive...but so are the liquor control laws in the state of Washington.
atsmile.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Equus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's one of those fun things about airplane flight, since it becomes an offense to ignore the instructions of the flight crew and attendants. It might be a little excessive...but so are the liquor control laws in the state of Washington.
atsmile.gif

As are Blue Laws in Connecticut...no alcohol sold after 9pm Mon-Sat, or all day Sunday.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm just glad his fellow passengers didn't buy into him being a "threat," ie....

"Yes, we all saw that guy bobbing his head up down to his music...when the flight attendants asked him to stop listening and he didn't, we all knew it was up to us to take matters into our own hands, so we group tackled him and one of us crushed the threatening device before it could do any harm..." James Patterson, passenger on Flight 107

"We all felt the plane would have gone down in flames for sure had we not taken immediate action."
another passenger, Flight 107

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrist-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As are Blue Laws in Connecticut...no alcohol sold after 9pm Mon-Sat, or all day Sunday.
rolleyes.gif

Ooouuuch! Laws over here are just about bars having to close at 2 am and no one but the state can sell alcohol. Well...I think my boss was explaining about the law actually reading that it was illegal to "own" alcohol or something, but then there are a bajillion notes and addendums.

May 1, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 7
Back to the topic, I think it's a bit stupid on both sides.

Is it such a big deal to just turn off the iPod?
Is it such a big deal to keep an iPod on?

Maybe I just don't understand.

May 1, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthpeople /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back to the topic, I think it's a bit stupid on both sides.

Is it such a big deal to just turn off the iPod?
Is it such a big deal to keep an iPod on?

Maybe I just don't understand.

In retrospect, yes, it probably would have been good for everybody had he just turned off his iPod.

That he can be wanted for questioning by police because he wouldn't seems a bit much to me...an unnecessary overreaction. IMHO, not turning off your iPod shouldn't result in anything more than a private discussion between flight attendants in the airport lounge later, "So what did you think about that guy who didn't want to stop listening to his music, kind of jerk don't you think?, " and not be worthy of any attention from the airline, the press, and local authorities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back