NY famous R-10 mini-meet
Jul 8, 2007 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

daveDerek

Headphoneus Supremus
keep watching for reports. this is gonna be good!
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 78
Six members, 3 R-10's, 3 HP-1000's and a bunch of PS-1's. 2 GS1000's or 1 GS1000 and a prototype. Every Beyer Dynamic model (give or take 1) and 3 DVD players as sources with 3 external DACs. 3 amps with huge tubes including 2 that ran off 300B's. Variety is the spice of life.

A bunch of happy music lovers listening to tunes and eating pizza. What else can you ask for?

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 78
Zana Deux w/ heavily modded HP 2 (don't ask
eek.gif
)

P1010040.JPG

Cary cad 300B SEI dedicated headphone amp

P1010041.JPG

Woo Audio 5 w/ Western Electric 300b tubes (10 times better than the stock tubes)

P1010035.JPG

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 78
first of all i'd like to thank the participants for coming over and spending this hot sunday afternoon shlepping their gear over, setting it all up, and doing some listening. the pictures of the equipment that will follow will give you an idea just what an impressive gathering of equipment was present for a half dozen head-fiers (+ a local buddy, a wife, and a couple of canine companions). this is likely one of the most serious concentrations of high end headphones for a small group of audiophiles that's been put together. present were immtbiker, nikongod, dave-the-rave, bozebuttons, jahn, and myself. a partial list of gear in attendance included 3 sets of r-10s, 4 sets of hp1000s + a variant, the hp3000, ps-1s, ms-pros, 2 gs1000s (regular production and the famed prototypes) which were tried with both bagel and beyer pads, k1000s, k340s, k400,501,601,701s, edition 9s, proline 2500s, and a bunch of other cans. amps included the rare and beautiful woo 5, the cary, the zana deaux, and on the melos front the nikongod-bator, and the max'd melos maestrobator, the stello amp, the head-amp maxxed v2-se, a woo 1, a xin supermicro 4, and phil lam was kind enough to drop off a cayin amp for use in the meet. front ends included the musical fidelity a5, a shanling t100, a couple of sony 9000s used as transports, an oppo, and for dacs there was a reimyo, an ack dack!, and a sonic frontiers dac. cables too numerous to mention and a few other pieces were included. if you think this stuff was fun to listen to, you are one sharp cookie! impressions to follow....

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 78
Dead tired, thanks to DaveDerek and the whole Tudor House Party for the great digs (that includes the chip and dip!) and it was a blast! Here are the pics, impressions tomorrow once I recover!

Headfi_002.jpg

Headfi_004.jpg

Headfi_006.jpg

Headfi_008.jpg

Headfi_014.jpg

Headfi_017.jpg

Headfi_016.jpg

Headfi_019.jpg

Headfi_021.jpg

Headfi_022.jpg

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 78
Aaaahhh!! I feel like a wimp for not making the trip down but I just wasn't up for the nearly 2 hour drive each way. I knew I would regret it once you guys started posting pics and impressions.

Thanks again for the invite, Dave!

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 78
Woo and Cary

P1010033.JPG

Ultrasone Limited Editon 9's a la Bozey

P1010028.JPG

Shanling T-100 CDP and Nakamichi Cassette (what's that?) player

P1010025.JPG

Stello HP 100 amp, Gilmore V2 SE amp, ACK dAck! and Sonic Frontiers DAC's

P1010019.JPG

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 78
and my poor oppo suffering at the bottom transporting the kaboodle, hehe.

oh and i know it won't satisfy folks, but here are the three biggest impressions of mine-

1) Proto and Stock GS1000s do sound different from each other. But pads make a bigger difference.

2) Modded Melos amps do sound different from each other. But tubes make a bigger difference.

3) Woo5 and Cary amps do sound different from each other. But tubes make a bigger difference.

End of story? Once you get this close to the top of the mountain, the biggest differences are caused by tweaks, as all of this stuff is freaking overbuilt - and it's a matter of personal preference which tweak you swing to.

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 78
Looks like some pretty basic setups.
tongue.gif

At least you guys didn't try to meet yesterday. It was even worst weather than today. You guys are hardcore to go tubes and no air conditioning and leather pads.
eek.gif

How was the woo amp and the K1000?

Jul 9, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #14 of 78
Thanks to Dave for a mighty fine time. And thanks to Tom for the opportunity to audition the Woo WA-5, modified Cary 300 SEI and Eddie Current Zana Deux all running off the same source— mine! With three R10's in the house, it was easy to compare and contrast. You can't go wrong with any of those amps, but (and correct me if I'm wrong, guys) the Woo WA-5 seemed to carry (no pun intended) the day once we moved Tom's Western Electric 300 B's from his Cary into the Woo. The Woo was really rockin' on live "Sweet Jane" from Lou Reed's 'Rock & Roll Animal.' And I had forgotten how much fun AKG K1000's are.

On the downside, I've already started shopping for a new (used) transport, based on Tom's advice. Fun & educational, you can't beat that!
tongue.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #15 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like some pretty basic setups.
tongue.gif

yup, basic bozebuttons type rigs.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

At least you guys didn't try to meet yesterday. It was even worst weather than today. You guys are hardcore to go tubes and no air conditioning and leather pads.
eek.gif

hey, these guys are cheap dates - some chips and dips, brewskis and pizza is all it takes to get them mini-meeting.
wink.gif

Quote:

How was the woo amp and the K1000?

good enough that for a minute there i thought i could talk dave-the-rave into swapping them for his r-10s.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back