NY area meet Nov 14, 2009 impressions
Nov 16, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #61 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only $510.00 more for the A-10.

The first 10 units of the A-10 will be offered for $5,500.00 only. We have only six available for that price for now as four units have been spoken for.

WES
Fully balanced
Electrostatic
headphone amp
$4990

I bought the used prototype WES that lacks the circuitry for the single ended inputs, so no 12AU7 phase splitter and the RCA jacks and not connected to anything. So, it's a but cheaper than the new WES or A-10. I could not afford a new WES either. I retired 2 years ago for medical reasons, so everything I buy requires that I sell something else, and I have precious little that I want to part with these days. I'd say I'm close to the end of my journey except for an upgraded source.

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #62 of 181
Where was that beta in the 3rd to last pic? I didn't see it. Good thing I got to listen to a different one, tho.

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #63 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great photos, as usual, Drew. Fantastic job working with the lighting, which is more than challenging. I struggled with it most of the day and spent most of my time using the built in flash. I was too lazy (busy?) to grab my external flash and couldn't get a good exposure using available light (although did capture a few). Thanks for taking and sharing.

I took more than I thought. Here's a few until I have a chance to go through them.

Great Photos Erik.
I love the two vinyl cartridge shots!

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #64 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Batch 3:

4108140814_2e2e4c90cc_o.jpg

(Denon D5000) Sorry - they are AH-D7000's with balanced Siltech and JMoney Pads, driven by an Audio-gd Phoenix from the balanced ouputs of the Music Hall 25.2

Small correction

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #66 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Small correction

^_^

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #67 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where was that beta in the 3rd to last pic? I didn't see it. Good thing I got to listen to a different one, tho.

That was The Monkey's amp. He was set up in the back, on the last table, next to the bar.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #68 of 181
Wow, looks like a fantastic meet guys!

It looks like you found a spot with a refreshment stand built in,.. good thinkin'.
Great pic's too, all you guys.

It seems that Frank Cooter may have some competition for the "IronEars Award" . We need to put surveillance on a rig in Chicago and see whether Frank or Steve come closest to 6 o'clock!

Well, it looks like another great meet in NYC and I aways look forward to reading this thread each year.
Keep up the good work!

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #69 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great Photos Erik.
I love the two vinyl cartridge shots!

Thanks Drew.
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought it was an interesting subject, myself. Check out my new avatar.
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #70 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out my new avatar.
wink.gif

I noticed. Looks great.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #72 of 181
Regarding the HE-5/LCD-2 comparison, I personally believe that you need a much more powerful amp for the HE-5 than the LCD-2. Off lesser amps, the LCD-2 sounded much better, but off Colin's Spud DIY amp, the HE-5 just kicked its butt.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #73 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I really don't know how it might fit others. It sure fit me well though, which was a big relief because I've grown accustomed to having to deal with the (oft-times terrible) clamping force of headphones that have much smaller headbands. That's what made me wonder about folks who have smaller heads, because if something works well for me and my size 8 noggin, chances are usually pretty good that it won't work well for someone else.

Quote:

...As for comfort, the LCD2 wasnt bad, but it did have too much clamp imo. The HE5 was miles ahead in terms of comfort.

i guess it's only natural that the degree of comfort would vary from head to head, but is that headband at all malleable? if it could be gently molded and shaped like a Grado, that would solve the problem for most folks, i imagine.

Quote:

I wrote a comparison in the LCD2 thread in the phone forum...

i read that. thanks.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #74 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the HE-5/LCD-2 comparison, I personally believe that you need a much more powerful amp for the HE-5 than the LCD-2. Off lesser amps, the LCD-2 sounded much better, but off Colin's Spud DIY amp, the HE-5 just kicked its butt.

Agreed (except for the Spud thing which I haven't heard).

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #75 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the used prototype WES that lacks the circuitry for the single ended inputs, so no 12AU7 phase splitter and the RCA jacks and not connected to anything. So, it's a but cheaper than the new WES or A-10. I could not afford a new WES either. I retired 2 years ago for medical reasons, so everything I buy requires that I sell something else, and I have precious little that I want to part with these days. I'd say I'm close to the end of my journey except for an upgraded source.

I was just having fun with you, with 48 sets of headphones and 28 amps. I would think you are kinda close to the end of the journey
beerchug.gif
I must say you may be retired but you do provide us here, with some invaluable info, thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, looks like a fantastic meet guys!
Another great meet in NYC and I aways look forward to reading this thread each year.
Keep up the good work!

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back