NY area meet Nov 14, 2009 impressions
Nov 18, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #137 of 181
There were so many things I didn't get to hear so don't feel stupid, Vincent. The amount of gear was overwhelming.

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #138 of 181
Erik and Vincent...I have the A-10 for a month. You are welcome to come over any weekend, or weekday night, and we can have a mini-midnight madness A-10 meet. Bring all of the stats that you can, because I am down to 2 now (Jade and SR Lambda pros). Just say the word.
Of course delectable delicacies (pork chops and mac/cheese) will be around to cleanse your palate between brands of headphones as to not confuse the aftertastes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Aaron hadn't been hogging up the Siltech Balacned Denons, I may have actually been blown away.

You know the best way to stop someone from "hoggin"?

Pig roast, of course.

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #139 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Erik and Vincent...I have the A-10 for a month. You are welcome to come over any weekend, or weekday night, and we can have a mini-midnight madness A-10 meet. Bring all of the stats that you can, because I am down to 2 now (Jade and SR Lambda pros). Just say the word.
Of course delectable delicacies (pork chops and mac/cheese) will be around to cleanse your palate between brands of headphones as to not confuse the aftertastes.

Sounds like a mini-meet to me
wink_face.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #140 of 181
Wish it had 2 Stax ports, but Tom, I'm sure that you can cover the 90 port.

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #141 of 181
It was a good meet. I hope that I wasn't too over the top with the auction.

Lately I tend to limit myself to auditioning products that interest me and that if I like them I'd consider purchasing, so I try and avoid seriously listening to Woo's and Ray's statement Stat amps. I'm happy with my loaded siltech GES, if I seriously auditioned the WES or A-10 I'm sure that I'd want one of them and I can't afford such a purchase at this time. So I basically ignored both of these exceptional amplifiers.

As far as dynamic amps go my favorite is still the WA-5LE, which I stayed away from because I already want one badly enough without further auditioning.

So that leaves my thoughts concerning the few headphones that I actually auditioned.

First would be the Sennheiser HD-800. When I auditioned them in July I actually disliked them (Stock cable Balanced and I'm assuming little break-in) with my Phoenix and a Balanced m3. I listened to the same set this time (Dave's) but they have now been recabled with a nice aftermarket balanced cable and obviously are now totally broken-in. I no longer dislike them, they're quite nice. I now see why some people like them, although I still prefer my Denon AH-D7000's and Jades by a fair margin.

I liked both of the new orthos. I'd have to hear them Balanced to really make an informed evaluation. To be fair the Phoenix isn't at it's best Single Ended, at least not with moderately difficult loads.

The real surprise of the meet for me was how bad the Beyerdynamic 880's (600 Ohm) sounded single ended driven by the Phoenix. To me it was painfully obvious that the Phoenix did not like the 600 Ohm load. I'm sure that the 880's are better than what I heard out of my Phoenix system. I suspect that the Phoenix is fairly sensitive to it's load, more so than most amps that I've owned.

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #142 of 181
Quote:

Wish it had 2 Stax ports, but Tom, I'm sure that you can cover the 90 port.

I can make that wish come true & supply a adapter cable for the 90 port to plug in the 2nd Stax
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #143 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Over the Top,No way .You could get paid doing auctions ,your that good.

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #144 of 181
Quote:

Erik and Vincent...I have the A-10 for a month. You are welcome to come over any weekend, or weekday night, and we can have a mini-midnight madness A-10 meet. Bring all of the stats that you can, because I am down to 2 now (Jade and SR Lambda pros).

Too bad the only stats I have are the Lambdas also, but it sounds like a great idea. The next month is not the greatest with the holidays coming up, but there's a chance.

Of course Quote:

(pork chops and mac/cheese)

makes the offer all the more tempting.

Quote:

Pig roast, of course.

Pig Roast! I use La Caja China

La Caja China Box - Superb Pig Roasting BBQ Grills and Smokers

There's a park near my house that has shelters and picnic tables. You can reserve it for free if you're a resident. It's legal to barbeque, have a keg, have 75 people hang out, whatever, within reason.

I was thinking of having a Portables Pig Pull and Barbeque there.
ksc75smile.gif
I'd roast a pig and people could bring other food, barbeque, salad, drinks.
beerchug.gif

I think there is also power there so you can stretch portables to nth degree.
jecklinsmile.gif

Hmmmmm...

the first NY Summer Meet and BBQ

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #146 of 181
The auction was great! The meet was great! Although it has already cost me quite a bit. I bought the HE5 today and expect to start on my beta 22 soon. Curse you, Head-fi.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #147 of 181
Quote:

Never
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #148 of 181
Looks like you guys had another great meet. I'm very disappointed to not have been able to attend this one in particular. Hopefully I can make a spring meet in the city.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #149 of 181
Quote:

Pig roast, of course.

Super-Stat Battle!!! If I can, gremlin-like, pop out from WAF territory and into that power venue I will do my best to gremlin the stats (zip out from behind the sofa / audition stat / return stat to heap undetected) and only hog the pork.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #150 of 181
Quote:

I liked both of the new orthos. I'd have to hear them Balanced to really make an informed evaluation. To be fair the Phoenix isn't at it's best Single Ended, at least not with moderately difficult loads.

The real surprise of the meet for me was how bad the Beyerdynamic 880's (600 Ohm) sounded single ended driven by the Phoenix. To me it was painfully obvious that the Phoenix did not like the 600 Ohm load. I'm sure that the 880's are better than what I heard out of my Phoenix system. I suspect that the Phoenix is fairly sensitive to it's load, more so than most amps that I've owned.

At least I'm not out in left field with my impression of the Phoenix single ended. Honestly, I don't even remember which headphones I was using but as I stated before I was expecting to be wowed and I was more like "Okayed".

Thanks for running the auction. I agree with Tom. You could do it professionally!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back