NY Area Fall Meet, Nov 14, 2009, Harrison NY - It's Official!
Nov 6, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #331 of 457
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not think Ray will have his entire lineup available for purchase. He will have some amps but to bring everything would be a lot. Plus, this isn't really a vendor event where they bring stuff to sell. This is about listening, comparing notes, and having some fun.

I spoke to him...I ended up ordering a shadow.

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #332 of 457
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruknd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spoke to him...I ended up ordering a shadow.

Yeah, I meant to add that if you wanted to purchase something to contact him ahead of time. Glad it worked out for you.

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #333 of 457
Quote:

I went to the hall last night, signed the paperwork and left the deposit so everything is set. Just over a week away! We can start setting up at 10 AM on Nov 14.

I've just updated the attendee list on the front page. If I include the maybes we are up to 60 people. This may be the most well attended NY meet ever, except for the Nat, which is a good thing.

However, at this point I'm going to have to put a temporary freeze on attendees as I'm afraid we're going to run out of room for gear. If for any reason you will not be able to attend please post so I can have an accurate headcount. If you've already posted in this thread you have made the cut. Please check the first post. If I missed you let me know and you will be added to the attendees. Anyone who posts after this point will be wait-listed.

I will reiterate n_maher's suggestion of bringing a rack. It's much better to stack your gear than spread it out. I estimate approximately 106 (linear) feet of table space. In terms of square footage it's close to 300 but we have a lot of members and vendors with a good amount of gear.

I am very surprised these NY meets are not held at bigger locations. With over 60 people, a silent auction, plus whatever else gets donated by vendors, I think a larger room could be afforded. This time I bet the meet will clear a good 400-600$.

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #334 of 457
Alas, if there was a way to know we'd have this many people BEFORE we got the hall, things could be done differently.

Sadly sometimes, e.g. the NJ meet this year, we get a huge room with many attendees listed, and then everyone drops out 2 days before the meet. we ended up with a huge room, maybe 30 people, and we ended up donating a LOT of money to make it work out

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #336 of 457
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very surprised these NY meets are not held at bigger locations. With over 60 people, a silent auction, plus whatever else gets donated by vendors, I think a larger room could be afforded. This time I bet the meet will clear a good 400-600$.

I'm sure we can always use more planners. You should start scouting locations/making phone calls.

I have my eye on the hotel across the street from my apartment, which could pretty easily host a big meet (in fact, it would be great for a CanJam). Only problem is BPC is not very parking friendly. I will stop by there when I have a chance one of these days.

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #337 of 457
Quote:

215px-Debbie_Downer.PNG

In meet related news I've been hard at work. I hope to have a little something fun for dynamic headphone owners to check out.

medium.jpg

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #339 of 457
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alas, if there was a way to know we'd have this many people BEFORE we got the hall, things could be done differently.

Sadly sometimes, e.g. the NJ meet this year, we get a huge room with many attendees listed, and then everyone drops out 2 days before the meet. we ended up with a huge room, maybe 30 people, and we ended up donating a LOT of money to make it work out

I have been in that situation before for other unrelated events & what we've started doing is having one person hold back money in anticipation of the next event's expenses instead of donating all of it to the forum. It'll insure that some members don't get stuck with a large tab when there's low turn-out.

GLC

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #340 of 457
You never have to worry about a low turnout at any NYC Spring/Fall meet.

Always plan large and 5 years of history proves to us that you will never lose.

Debbie Downer will tell you.
215px-Debbie_Downer.PNG

Why bring this up now, anyway? What's done, is done. Optimisim is proof positive!

d_7493.jpg

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #341 of 457
Quote:

It's a double edged sword. You get a bigger turnout but it costs more to rent space. Perhaps we should hold back some money for the next meet and use it towards a larger room.

When it comes to hotels, most of the time they will give the space for free IF you commit to spend a certain amount on food and beverages. Most places that have a big space, make money from catering, so they have to charge a premium for space if you aren't having a banquet or cocktail party.

Aaron got lucky with the Aria. They have been very generous

That's not to say that you can't find another Aria. We all need to keep our eyes and ears open.

As others have pointed out as well, a lot of people drop out at the last minute or just don't show up at all. We don't want to be left holding the bag.

True we should do well this time around but I'd rather have a surplus that we can hold for next time (for a bigger space) or give it back to Head-Fi, rather than having to pass the hat around "one more time".

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #342 of 457
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why bring this up now, anyway?

I've heard people say that it's hard to tell what size meet can be expected, and so they edge on the side of caution and get a smaller venue. The past two years, this fall meet has VERY good turnout. To the point of having to turn people away now!

And so I wanted to throw it out there that I think there is certainly room to expand the size of the room. Certainly not anti-optimism, in fact I would say I am optimistic that larger locations could actually be used and fully founded for based on the turnouts.
A suggestion, that's all. ^_^

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #343 of 457
Quote:

It's a double edged sword. You get a bigger turnout but it costs more to rent space. Perhaps we should hold back some money for the next meet and use it towards a larger room.

When it comes to hotels, most of the time they will give the space for free IF you commit to spend a certain amount on food and beverages. Most places that have a big space, make money from catering, so they have to charge a premium for space if you aren't having a banquet or cocktail party.

Aaron got lucky with the Aria. They have been very generous

That's not to say that you can't find another Aria. We all need to keep our eyes and ears open.

As others have pointed out as well, a lot of people drop out at the last minute or just don't show up at all. We don't want to be left holding the bag.

True we should do well this time around but I'd rather have a surplus that we can hold for next time (for a bigger space) or give it back to Head-Fi, rather than having to pass the hat around "one more time".

Dually noted. I actually like the concept of holding money for a next year if there is surplus. That sounds like a fantastic idea.

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #344 of 457
We had over 100 people in that little front room in Bayside. No point talking about turning people away. We can work things out on the fly. We're a very understanding and caring & sharing bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back