NVX XPT100 versus Beyer DT770pro ? Or other?
Nov 12, 2014 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bgentry

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I'm shopping for new headphones to replace my HD280pros, which are falling apart, plus I want better sound.

Budget:  $200
Headphone type:  Closed because I like the isolation that the 280s give me and I don't want to lose that.
Listening type:  Videos, Movies, Music.  Everything I listen to on my computer goes through headphones.
Gear:  I drive my current headphones with a Yamaha (inexpensive 10 channel) mixer.  I use the sound card built in to my macbook pro.

I want a neutral sound I think, based on my experience with other audio.  Let me tell you how the HD280pros sound to me:  Mostly neutral, but they could use more bass, and more upper highs.  The midrange is good, but it emphasizes the upper mids, so male vocals don't sound natural.  I'd like to improve on all of that in my headphone purchase.

I'm considering the DT770pros and the NVX XPT100s most strongly.  The XPTs because Z Reviews on youtube seems totally in love with them and has auditioned a *bunch* of closed headphones.  I was formerly considering the HD380pros, but I've read too many negative comments about them, and Z Reviews in particular says they sound bad and lack bass in a big way.

I keep reading that the DT770s have pumped up bass and highs, but I don't know how extreme that is.  Given what I've said about my HD280s, am I looking for a truly neutral headphone, or am I going to love the 770s?

Any thoughts and/or recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian.

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 13
First off, howdy!, and welcome! The saying 'round here is: "Sorry about your wallet!"

I think the XPT100's would probably be too similar and neutral, so the DT770's are what I'd recommend for ya. I don't really have other recommendations, maybe someone else will chime in.

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 13
Hmm interesting question, the NVX is a pretty fantastic headphone IMO and it really is a tremendous value. The Senn 280 always sounded weird to me, and i agree with your assessment, they definitely sound a little nasally, echoey in the mids. Plus there is very little midbass bloom so nothing really thumps, ever. Which isnt realistic. I think these are popular for tracking vocals because the isolation is so good and the mids are dead flat neutral, with the bass rolled off and the treble rolled off right where the mids start and end, good studio tool but what an odd sound lol.

So in that sense i dont think they are truly neutral and the nvx more or less are, or at least much closer to it. Youd definitely get more thump and immediate bass presence from the nvx but the deep bass is kindof overshadowed and it tends to lack authority in the low bass. But they eq quite well.

Another neutralish kind of headphone that is similar to the 280, but improved drastically over it is the Soundmagic HP150. This thing has resolution in spades and a wide soundstage that works well for movies. Its main advantages over the 280 is well first of all the comfort, 280 have a deathgrip on the head, HP150 pads are soft and cushy, senns use those weird papery pleather found on their cheap headphones. The deep bass on the HP150 is quite strong, and very detailed and has proper amount of slam when the track calls for it. Again however, the hp150 has the lack of true mid and upper bass presence, so its never muddy or uncontrolled but no doubt you would find that aspect familiar and the added sub bass of the HP150 makes it quite enjoyable and gives everything a good sense of space. Upper mids are also a little emphasized, but due to the excellent bass extension this isnt nearly as offensive as on the Senns. The upper treble however is night and day, HP150 has real extension and highly detailed where the Senns just sound muffled and unengaging. So i did detect similarities but the improvements of the HP150 put it in another tier altogether and is just a much more capable headphone.

Another option of course is the ATH M50X, i think they are a nice middle ground between all of them. Not as neutral as the NVX but not far off really and not as capable technically as the HP150 but a more forward presentation with still excellent clarity and suprising resolution. Bass is more enjoyable as it has way more punch than all of them while still very tight and a warmer tonal balance. The Beyers are just too bright and mids are too recessed for my tastes and would pick all of the aforementioned headphones instead, no further comment on those lol. Hope that helped

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 13
This is what you want: Takstar Pro80. Look no further.

Thread about the Takstar brand: http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-cyberx-qpad-thread
My impressions on the headphones: first and second impressions.

Get them. Now. Here for an absurd price http://www.ebay.com/itm/Takstar-Pro80-Monitoring-Headphones-DJ-Style-Over-the-Ear-Pro-Studio-Headphone-/131116551694?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1e8727ce0e

Very simple comprison to the HM5: a bit more bass punch, a bit more highs presence, a bit more sparkle, more envolving mids. 

Nov 15, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for all the replies.  I've read a few reviews of the HP150 and Pro80s and watched some video reviews.  I'm a bit torn, but I'm leaning towards the HP150s.

I wonder if the larger earpads on the HM5 (XPT100) are a big factor.  Both for comfort and for sound stage size.

I'm essentially ruling out the Beyer DT770s at this point due to everyone saying they are overly V shaped.  Frankly, that's kind of amazing.  That a highly regarded "audiophile" brand of headphones is not recommended over relatively unknown brands.  We live in a different world today.  :)

Thanks again for the help.  Any other input is welcomed.

Brian.

Nov 15, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 13
XPT is very comfortable, the pads are dreamy. Angled pads come with them too, also dreamy. However the soundstage is still wider and more 3D on the HP150, sound quality as well is in another league on the SoundMagic. Going from the HD280 to the HP150 would be akin to you going from a t50rp and having it modded into an mad dog or alpha dog(ive never heard the mr speakers but let me make my point damn it) so similar sound sig, but just perfected pretty much.

Having said that, i still prefer the takstar because its simply more fun while still being neutral-ish, just a different flavor of it with more warmth, But i like my mid bass and lower mids, while still retaining clarity. HP150 wouldnt disappoint though, and is pretty amazing for movies.

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 13
  Thanks for all the replies.  I've read a few reviews of the HP150 and Pro80s and watched some video reviews.  I'm a bit torn, but I'm leaning towards the HP150s.

I wonder if the larger earpads on the HM5 (XPT100) are a big factor.  Both for comfort and for sound stage size.

I'm essentially ruling out the Beyer DT770s at this point due to everyone saying they are overly V shaped.  Frankly, that's kind of amazing.  That a highly regarded "audiophile" brand of headphones is not recommended over relatively unknown brands.  We live in a different world today.  :)

Thanks again for the help.  Any other input is welcomed.

Brian.

The main differences between the Pro80 and HP150 would be:

1- Round vs Oval pads 
2- I would say the HP150 has a better sound in overall, but nothing too extreme. Maybe the sound is more envolving, warmer, more defined, but it is definitelly bassier and more spacious.
3- I am sure that Pro80 pads can be easily replaced, and the changes are all for the better. I can't say that about the HP150.
4- The PRICE!!!!! You can buy THREE Pro80 for the price of one HP150 on sale. This was the reason why I didn't buy the HP100. That and the Disco-like earcups. Thank God they changed that

In summary: HP150 is better, Pro80 has better value

Nov 16, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 13
Ok, I'm *this* close to ordering the HP150s.  I've read numerous reviews that seem to generally say they are what I'm looking for.  I'm going to think about it a little and maybe read a little more and try to make a decision.

If anyone else has any input, you still have time!  :)

Thanks,

Brian.

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #13 of 13
I've got the HP150s, have broken them in for around 15 hours or so, and have listened in several sessions.  I need to do more listening, but so far I'm pretty happy with how they sound.  They might be a bit overly bright; more listening is needed, as they *seemed* to change character between day 1 and day 2, after breaking in all day long.

Compared to the HD280 pros, the difference is HUGE.  Initially I thought the HP150s were weird and voices sounded wrong.  Then I went back to the HD280s and realized how congested and nasally they sound in comparison.  Doing many A/B sessions, I've found that the HP150s have loads more highs than the 280s.  By comparison the 280s seem to really bring out the middle to lower vocal.  Over emphasizing the vocal actually, which is right in line with what OMGLG said a few posts up.

There's a pretty huge difference in the bass also.  The HD280s seem to have very, very little bass in comparison, but the HP150s don't sound overly bassy to me.  Quite tight bass actually, but with huge sub bass extension too.  I don't think I've heard sub bass like that from headphones before.

Doing more listening to voices, I've found that the HP150s have a good bit of detail and voices sound real.  The balance seems just about right.  The HD280s by comparison muffle vocal details and make them sound less natural.  The difference was especially strong with The Dire Straits, Brother's In Arms album.  Mark Knopfler's voice had lots of depth and detail on the HP150s and just sounded strange on the HD280s.

One thing I'll mention just for completeness:  The longer extension cable wouldn't fit to the 1/4" adapter properly out of the box.  It seemed to seat ok, but the connection they made was bad and almost no sound came through.  10 minutes with a multi-meter and a razor knife and I fixed it.  Removing something like 1 - 1.5 mm of plastic allowed the 1/4" adapter to fully seat and now it has a good connection.  Kinda weird that I had to modify it, which is why I'm mentioning it here.

Thanks for all the help guys.  :)

Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back