'Nuts' about a ER-4P to S converter
Apr 14, 2005 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

XBTed

100+ Head-Fier
So I made a homemade P to S converter the other day, unfortunately it dissapeared. (I suspect the cat, she has developed a taste for headphone wires) So I have some stuff laying around to make another one, but unfortunately I only have enclosure mount 1/8 inch jacks, you know the ones that are cubish. And I don't have any decent cable laying around anyway. Well, I'm looking around the apartment for an enclosure for this converter so I can use the jacks and not worry about wire, something that's small enough that I can use it with my amp. Anyway, I find is this bag of pecans that a friend gave to me (her dad has a pecan grove so I have lots of pecans in the shell.) I thinks to meself, I've seen some Grado amps with a wood enclosure, hmmm.

Well, severe boredom got the best of me and I built a P-S converter enclosed in a pecan shell. File this under weird I guess, but it works.

converter pic

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 20
pics? If it is secure in there, that would be a really cool bit of gadgetry, maybe even beating out being able to fit everything in an altoid box.

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 20
Hey, Got a question concerning the 4p-s converter.
Is it just a standard headphone jack to a mini converter?
or is there some sort of magic that changes the way the
phones' work?
Thanks.

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 20
The magic is just having a 75 ohm resistor on each channel, that's it
smily_headphones1.gif

I could've made it a bit smaller, unfortunately the size of the nut would've interfered with the knob if I put the plug in closer to the nut. It's pretty secure in there, I have everything pretty much super glued down, but we'll see. I don't think right now that it would be able to withstand much punishment, but if I were feeling really ambitious I'd fill it up with some foam.

Also on the photo, the area on the jack near the nut looks a bit weird and shiny, but that's just clear nail polish, it looks a bit strange in the picture though.

Another converter pic

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #6 of 20
Looks pretty. By the way, does that sticker on the Twinstarr amp comes with it or did you made it yourself?

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by XBTed
So I made a homemade P to S converter the other day, unfortunately it dissapeared. (I suspect the cat, she has developed a taste for headphone wires) So I have some stuff laying around to make another one, but unfortunately I only have enclosure mount 1/8 inch jacks, you know the ones that are cubish. And I don't have any decent cable laying around anyway. Well, I'm looking around the apartment for an enclosure for this converter so I can use the jacks and not worry about wire, something that's small enough that I can use it with my amp. Anyway, I find is this bag of pecans that a friend gave to me (her dad has a pecan grove so I have lots of pecans in the shell.) I thinks to meself, I've seen some Grado amps with a wood enclosure, hmmm.

Well, severe boredom got the best of me and I built a P-S converter enclosed in a pecan shell. File this under weird I guess, but it works.

converter pic

Sweet

So how does it sound? Does the nut bring out the woodwinds better? btw, j/k

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 20
LOL! That *is* nuts - "P to S converter, Woodied".
wink.gif

I'll probably build a similar "compact converter" out of Rat Shack parts when I get 'round to it...

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 20
That's just nuts.

*you know you wanted to say it!*

Apr 15, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 20
Hmm yeah, I genetically altered the pecan for the proper resistance, so it's patented, LOL.

About the Twinstarr Amp, that's actually a piece of film I got from the art supply store that changes design when you move the it. It's on there with a big piece of double sided tape. I'm not sure if Twinstarr includes stickers with their amps now, but their amps are good regardless.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, it makes all the shell parts and pecan dust on my keyboard worth it!

Apr 15, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 20
Heh, never noted the image, thats pretty sweet.

Question extension: The resistors, my understanding
of electronics leads me to believe that they would just
reduce the amount of power to the drivers. I dont
understand anything beyond a reduce in volume by
way of less .. hm, resistors only change voltage, or
amperage? and how would that affect the drivers.
-amperage = -volume? Man oh man, this headphone
amp, hi-fi business is so much more confusing than my
digital electronics class in HS taught me, but even
then, outside of the and/or/not gate theory, my
intellect fails me and i remain oh so dim.

Apr 16, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #15 of 20
I'm a little rusty on my physics, it's been a little while and I'm a biologist by training so I may be wrong here, but I'm going to explain the best I can about the resistor thing. But I'm going to need a little time to get all my thoughts together, so I'll put another post on to try to explain this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back