Nuraphone - Initial Impressions
Feb 11, 2018 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
Boy, has it been a long time since I've posted here.

I bought the Nuraphone. I was curious about the really weird technology involved. It's a Kickstarter-backed wireless headphone that has two very weird features:

1. A hybrid headphone-earphone design. It's a headphone, but it has two earphone nodules you stick in your ear. The tactile bass, however, is delivered via a haptic feedback motor in the ear cup. You can dial up and down the involvement of the haptic bass motor ("Immersion Mode") using the iOS and Android app. The best way to describe it is as the headphone equivalent to turning up and down a home theater subwoofer.

The rationale is that tactile bass level can be controlled without mudding up the highs and lows.

2. The headphones, via a mandatory iOS or Android app, self-calibrates to your ears using a variety of test tones. Your eardrum reflects some of the test tones back and a very sensitive microphone picks it up. It then changes the sound based on that. Your custom profile is saved to the Nuraphone for use with any device.

So I've been using the headphones for the past two days:

Pros -

1. Sound signature is shockingly neutral. Despite the heavy DSP action involved, acoustic instruments sound like acoustic instruments. I was worried they wouldn't.

2. The "Immersion Mode" haptic feedback feature works really well. These headphones produce an amazing amount of tactile bass and the level can be controlled via the app. It's like adjusting the subwoofer level in a speaker system. It's weird experiencing tactile bass with earphones, however.

The canons on the 1812 Overture are amazing with haptic feedback.

3. They shine particularly with movies, in part because of the "Immersion Mode" feature. I've been meaning to try them with PSVR and games.

4. Support for AptX HD.

Cons -

1. The treble could use some work. Can be harsh.

2. The soundstage is similar to earphones. i.e., small.

3. The headphones are HEAVY. There is a lot of metal here. Build quality is excellent, however.

4. I wear glasses, and it makes getting the right fit a bit tough.

5. List price is $399.

Now, here's the main problem -

It's been years since I've been into hifi. I used to own the Sennheiser HD600, Grado SR325i, JVC DX1000, and a Stax Classic 2 system. But I sold them all and haven't heard them in years. Thus my reference is a bit....lacking. I do attend classical music concerts on a regular basis, however.

I'd love to pick up a pair of HD600s and see how they compare.

EDIT: I can give you a 20% discount (e.g., $80 off) if you want to try them. I'm a bit mad I paid full price.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 7
Ok - I'm going to be returning these. Please PM me with your email ASAP if you want the discount code. I won't able to have it sent after I've returned them.

So I had a chance to compare these with the Sony WH1000XM2, Beats Studio 3, and Bose QC35 II.

The Nuraphones arguably sound the best and have the flattest frequency response. But I don't like having to stick something in my ear IEM style. Hence why I'm returning them. All of the 3 other phones are great too. But I preferred the Sony's.

FYI - They don't advertise it but the Nura's support AAC. The latency is a bit high with AAC though.

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah, the IEM is something you have to be already used to. To some degree the closed back feels weird compared to the open pairs I have at home. Can't beat that isolation though.

Mar 30, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 7
I must admit I am very curious about these headphones and have cv on tacked the company to see if I can acquire a pair for review.

I'm currently using the excellent V20 by LG coupled to the also excellent Sony WH1000XM2 wireless headphones - I'd really like to compare these two headphones regarding aptx hd.

Sep 10, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 7
I must admit I am very curious about these headphones and have cv on tacked the company to see if I can acquire a pair for review.

I'm currently using the excellent V20 by LG coupled to the also excellent Sony WH1000XM2 wireless headphones - I'd really like to compare these two headphones regarding aptx hd.

On the fence between the Nuraphone and the new WH1000XM3 - and of course the completely different RHA CL2.

So many choice, but so far guess the Sony looks like the most rounded product. I don't care though much about the functionalities, audio quality is what I'm after.

Did you compare the latest Sony M3 to the M2 already?

Sep 10, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 7
On the fence between the Nuraphone and the new WH1000XM3 - and of course the completely different RHA CL2.

So many choice, but so far guess the Sony looks like the most rounded product. I don't care though much about the functionalities, audio quality is what I'm after.

Did you compare the latest Sony M3 to the M2 already?

Unfortunately where I like in the UK new things take quite some time to get here (although I did see one of those new fangled Sony Stowaway tape cassette players the other day so things are looking up). I'm very happy with the sound quality of my Sony WH1000xm2''s - might take a good 6 months for my local PC World/Curry''s to get stock of the WH1000xm3''s.

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 7
Just picked up the Sony. Nicely crafted, controls work fine, sound satisfying. Trebles a bit flat. Will give it a few days.

Was standing in front of the Nura. They didn't have one for testing. Sales guy was saying something about hygiene and product and stuff.

Indeed it looks like you're sticking two mini di*** in your ear, so I gave it a pass. Couldn't imagine that it's too comfortable, however good the sound might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back