NuPrime Raspberry Pi Server and DAC with volume control
Jun 14, 2016 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Armaegis

Modern Modder Man of Manitoba
HTML... uphill, both ways!
Just copying this from another forum. Seems there are more and more of these Raspberry Pi options coming out. Really curious to see how NuPrime's take on it turns out if they decide to run with it. As someone who actually owns both the uDSD (small dac/amp) and IDA-8 (all-in-one power amp), this could be really neat!

They've got some new wireless WiFi multi-room devices coming out too. Seems traditional computers as sources are going the way of the dodo soon. Oh who are we kidding, it's probably just going to turn into a smartphone/streaming audio world soon enough anyways.

Quote: Jason Lim
 Someone asked about this at T.H.E. Show and we quickly came out with this chassis and I think we took the idea one step further to include uDSD integrated (optional).

You can install Plex media server on the latest $39 Raspberry Pi and turn it into a "high-end" product with clean power supply, 32/384k DAC with native DSD, WiFi and RJ45 network for wireless and wired audio streaming, internal and external hard disks.
I don't know about the retail price, but my guess is that it would range from $299 to $449 depending on options. May be less, may be more, it is only an estimate.  In any case, it will be reasonable and compared to what others are charging in the 4 figure price range using entry level PC motherboard, this is cheap. 

The chassis and front panel is similar to IDA-8.

image.php

image.php

If there is enough of you who want this, we will make it.

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 8
Update:

Here's the retail pricing:
NuPrime RasPi chassis (with back panel and internal mounting brackets)  $229
uDSD board (volume control knob at the front panel)  $99
Power supply + filter board $59
Ok?  If a few of you say that you are going to buy at least the chassis and power supply, we will make 20 of them as a start.

More info, see here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143695.0

rustydoglim is JasonL here: http://www.head-fi.org/u/101265/jasonl

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 8
More updates from here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143695.msg1544319#msg1544319

We are making a small production of 20 units with the following spec.  For internal wiring and layout, see the first few post.
After receiving several feedback, we have added Optical connector (with internal cable).
The front panel has two versions depending on whether you have uDSD inside or not.

Notable features:
1. External high quality switching power supply (engineer said linear doesn't offer advantage since we have power filter board inside) with filter board inside the case to ensure clean 5V power to Raspberry Pi and hard disk. There are two 2A 5V power supply.
2. Optical, Coaxial, RCA, HDMI outputs.
3. WiFi antenna.
4. Internal space for Raspberry Pi 3, hard disk, NuPrime uDSD DAC board, and power filter board.

We are also considering adding power amp inside (instead of internal hard drive).  We have developed a low cost and very small version of STA-9 amp module. We can turn this into a all-in-one entry level system. It is not the high end sound like STA-9, but I bet it will be better than anything out there for this price and configuration.

image.php

Aug 8, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 8
I organized a meet today and one of the guys brought a little Pi board to play music from. Of course, it sits there bare bones and then you stack it up with hard drive and keyboard/monitor/etc. I think Nuprime's offering with the case that matches the rest of their gear aesthetic is quite reasonable.

I'm going to try uploading some of those images again since they don't seem to be showing up in my previous post... (these are just mockups, not actual schematics yet)
image.php

image.php

Aug 8, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 8
in case the above doesn't show, trying again here...

May 5, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 8
Looks like NuPrime is finally moving ahead with this:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143695.msg1606186#msg1606186

Seems like a pretty sweet deal for what it includes:
Here's the final pricing NuPrime Pi-9 and only 20 units will be produced (1 year warranty and future repair not a problem as we designed and manufactured the power supply boards). As long as we have demands, we will continue to manufacturer it.
We call this our DIY Series.
There is an external power supply with internal power filter board that supplies two 2.5A 5V.
One of the USB port is used internally for uDSD (optional) so only 3 ports at the back.

MSRP $399 but for this batch you can order at 20% discount = $319. They will be shipped directly by FedEx from Taiwan factory to you (including outside of USA order) for $50 flat rate. If you are in very remote location we might charge in shipping. Anyway, $50 by FedEx Express is a subsidised rate already.

uDSD board = $85, 10% discount for this first batch = $76.50

To place an order, email your name, address, phone number to sales@nuprimeaudio.com and we will send you a Paypal invoice. Remember to mention if you want the uDSD board.
Hey guys, for all our R&D effort (mechanical and electrical engineers for all these work), I think we are losing money doing this
duh.gif

So get it before supplies run out or price goes up.

Shipping around end of May, give or take about a week. All the parts for 20 units are stocked up at the factory so we are ready to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back