Nuforce W-1?
Feb 7, 2012 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

davidzvi

Head-Fier
Anyone try out the Nuforce W-1? 

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/subwoofer/index.php

I've seen a few posts here and there about this little sub, bass extender.  But not much.  I've also found 2 good reviews from 2009 online and one review on Amazon from 11/2011 that was bad.  I'm looking to extend the range of my AudioEngine A2's.  Setup is very near field, 13 by 14 room, lots of heavy wood furniture.  Low volume, my A2's are normally at 1/2 volume and the source computer is normally at 1/4-1/2 volume.  I know probably the best option would be AE's own S8 sub, but that is out of my price range.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 8
Well the Nuforce W-1 went on sale for $100 shipped, so I decided to give it a try.

So far it's great. It more than adds what I was looking for. I'm going to have to play with the level / crossover / phase to get it just right.

I had tried the Swan D1010 IV and the AE A5's (not the new +) before getting the A2's. The D1010 were probably more balanced than the A5's for my listening. The A5's just needed to be at a higher volume it seemed to produce a nice sound.  But but the D1010 and A5's were just so big on my desk and I felt like they were just too much in my face. For me the size of the A2's was just right. But I did feel they were missing just a little something, not anymore.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Amazon, but they only had 2 at the time and are now sold out.  I'm just hoping that my experience with it will be more like Kobra's than the guy that reviewed it on Amazon.  Kobra has had his for over 2 years now, time will tell.  It was a lot harder to find a reasonable small sub for near field listening than I thought it would / should be.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RPBHRM/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 8
I wonder if they are coming out with a new model, so closing out stock? 

I have a Nuforce Ikon usb dac, amp, preamp gizmo.  It's about 4 years old.  Using a pair of low end bookshelf speakers.  I think there is a way to hook the ikon up to that sub and cause the Ikon to filter the low frequency sounds away from the stereo speakers, but I can't see anything about it in the manual.  How do you hook the sub up to powered speakers?

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #6 of 8
Sorry I can't help with Nuforce Amp hookup.

My setup is digital out from my computer connecting to a FiiO D3.  I have the RCA out of the D# connected to the Nuforce W-1 inputs.  Then the AE A2's connected to the W-1 RCA out.  I hope that helps.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 8
Well I guess I know why it was so low priced.  One week and it's dead.  When ever the sub goes into stand by it started to put out static.  Big problem since some of my music is above the crossover.  So in the middle of a softer song, static.

Well at least Audio Advisor is taking it back. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 8
Well I have a Dayton Audio SUB-80 8" HT Series 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer now.  With luck it will last longer than the W-1 did.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-631

Users who are viewing this thread

Back