NuForce UF30 Review
Jan 26, 2010 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mochan

Headphoneus Supremus
I noticed that the UF30 is not getting much attention here. I just recently got these cans and I am loving them, so I thought I'd spread the love with a review.

I was in the market for a portable headset which had my preferred sound signature: warm, laidback and bassy. After looking around the Metro for a suitable candidate, I passed on various headsets like the ATH SQ5, SJ3, a whole round of AKGs and the Dre Beats. They were either too big, too expensive, or just did not sound right for me.

Enter the NuForce UF30.

I walked by a shop that had some shiny Grado cans displayed prominently by the window. I waltzed in but once inside I tested the cans on display and came across the UF30. I was instantly hit by a warm wave of bass. And I said... "Hey, this ain't half bad!"

After a little more listening I came to the conclusion that it was very clear and detailed, but the bass warmly enveloped the entire sound -- and me -- in a soft airy embrace, caressing me with the details of Ive Mendes' deep and erotic vocals. I was hooked. This was an excellent-sounding phone, just the way I like it, and as an added bonus it was quite portable, being very small and foldable, and hey it looked damn good!

P1140796.jpg

What can I say? Instant purchase!

Upon getting home and opening the box, I set about studying the UF30's physical characteristics.

The build quality is quite remarkable. Unlike my other portable bass phones, the Bose OE's, this did not exhibit any creaking in the hinges. The head strap was solid plastic and the actual phones were sturdy and coated with a shiny paint finish -- mine is in pearly white. The cable is quite thick, the only disappointment being that it splits into a Y shape attaching to both earphones. I wish all headphones today would do with a single-sided connection but I guess manufacturers sometimes have problems running the cable through the headband, especially when making something as thin and portable as the UF30. Ah well, this is just my personal preference, but I really love single-side cables.

The only weakpoint I could see in the build quality was the cover of the earpads -- it's a thin cloth fabric that feels like it will rip easily if you poke it the wrong way. Since the earpads are doughnut-shaped with holes in the middle for the sound to come out, the tendency is you will grab the phones and your finger goes into the hole, stretching the fabric unnecessarily. I get the feeling I will poke a hole into that fabric within a year's time.

Another downside is that the portability could have been better -- it folds like the Sennheiser PX100 but it doesn't go flat like the PX100 does; instead there is a noticeable bulge in the width as you can see here:

P1140802.jpg

Which means you can't easily slip it into a pocket like you could with the PX100. The resulting case reflects this:

P1140799.jpg

I can't help but think that the team at NuForce could have lopped off the foam part on the left side of the case where the wire is coiled -- this would have made the case 33% thinner and made the UF30 even more portable. If you can find or make a custom case this is solved but it would have been nice to have a case that is more portable out of the box -- especially since the case looks very good in its own right.

P1140800.jpg

Anyway, the UF30 is a portable headset, so I will review it as one: with the typical usage scenarios for a portable user. That means powering it through a small media player, in my case the iPod Nano 2G, unamped, with nothing more than the typical 320kbps mp3 files people use on their portables, and paying attention to how it feels on the go.

I had to wait a bit though before really reviewing its sound. On testing it at home it sounded nothing like the UF30 I auditioned in the store, which had probably gone through much burn in being auditioned by many prospective buyers such as myself. It didn't have much warmth and the bass extension was very limited. So I plugged it into my stereo and left it running for a few days before I started doing some critical listening.

After just 40 hours of burn in the UF30s now had the sound I remember falling in love with at Acoustic Dimension. I've now had them for a week and the burn in time is now up to around 100 hours. The great thing about the UF30s is that you can run it at about 40-60% of the Nano's volume and get a comfortable and pleasing sound complete with warmth and details.

I ran it through some of my usual test tracks. I listen mostly to Alternative Rock, House, Chillout and JPop. I will thus pattern my testing on these genres, as I do not presume to have the love of the music to give a valid opinion of other genres.

The Bass Test - Irreplaceable

With Beyonce's Irreplaceable, I wanted to see just how deep the bass would go. This is a popular track which has a powerful beat that really challenges the bass extension of any sound system. The UF30 manages to pull off the bass with a good share of aplomb and smoothness.

However if I compare it to my two other benchmarks for bass, it is lacking in body and thump. The Bose OEs, which some call "Fart Cannons" hahah, simply show that the UF30's bass power is quite limited. The OE's have a lot more warmth (warm farts? eww) which the UF30 cannot match, warm enough as it is. I should also note that the Bose OEs in turn pale in comparison to the Dre Beats Studio when it comes to providing that bass thump, so you can see the pecking order.

My other favorite bass phone -- the Monster Turbines -- also manage to easily put the UF30 to shame. The Turbines have all the thump of the Dre Beats Studio, and yet the bass is still punchy and solid. They beat the UF30's hands down.

But let's not be too discouraged; the lack of this thump is not necessarily bad -- some people like it that way -- but if you want monster thump this is not the can that will do it. What this can does give is a very smooth and delicious bass that is not overpowering, but still detailed and has that all important warmth. The UF30s still manage to get a passing grade from this bass lover, and there is more to bass than the thump...

The Rock Test - Plush

I like Stone Temple Pilot's Plush for my rock tests. As an alternative rock and grunge fan, this is one of the seminal works that anyone in the genre knows, and it has a lot of nicely distorted guitars along with a distinct bass line that doesn't get lost in the chorus of distorted guitars.

The results are in: the UF30 manages to render the distortions quite nicely, although the bass, while there is not as prominently rendered. Comparing it to my reference set for Rock: the Metro.Fi 170 (vastly underrated phone which is like the perfect IEM for rock by the way at a steal of a price) the UF30 isn't able to render the "dirty punch" of Plush's complex bassline. You can make out the general sound of it, but if you were trying to learn to play this bassline the detail from the Metro.Fi 170 manages to push let you image it better. The distortion of course sounds better on the 170 but the UF30 manage to do a good job with this at least. The UF30s barely manage to squeak out a passing grade for rock.

The Dave Matthew's Test - Satellite

Kind of funny to test after a band, but the reason I put cans through the blender with Dave Matthews is because this is a very talented band that is "the complete package." Great vocalist, with complex drum attacks (nothing fast like death metal but lots of high level technique playing with high hats), and a symphony of sounds including multiple vocals, wah effects, chorus, sax, etc. -- ripe to check separation and soundstage. To top it off Dave Matthews albums are always well-recorded with top-notch quality and clarity. If I could use only one song to test a sound system I would choose Dave Matthews.

Satellite starts off slow but brings a lot of complex sounds into the mix by the first chorus. For reference I use the Audio Technica M50 which is the most capable headset I have which is still usable as a portable can. The M50 has a very solid presentation all around, and although it has a very narrow soundstage the instrument placement is infallible. You can really pick each sound out, and not get the "wall of sound" effect you get from many cheap headphones (like this Sony Ericsson IEMs my GF used to have -- sounded pretty good but man The Wall, The Wall!)

The M50 renders the starting slow passage perfectly, with an echoing reverb feel to the initial guitars, and Dave Matthews' voice comes out to the forefront powerful and airy with its aggressive mid presentation. The voice is flanked by the sax and strings and guitars that come with the Satellite chorus... excellent. The soundstage may be narrow but wow.

In comparison, the UF30 doesn't have the zing and sparkle rendering the opening instrumentals, but when Dave Matthews starts singing his voice comes out clear and strong! I was quite surprised by this, as I had felt the UF30 was slightly recessed in the mids, but it didn't seem to matter at all. It seems the UF30 is versatile enough to keep vocals in the background when that is the desired effect, and bring it to the forefront if it is mixed that way! And then the sax and strings kick in... the sax appears off to the left and a little below, strings enter to the right, high hats ringing all the time from further back and above, it all comes together beautifully. It doesn't have the detail of the M50 -- resolution is not quite up to par -- but it still manages to create a good soundstage.

Now speaking of soundstage, I am not a very good judge of it. I am not sure why but things always sound very narrow to me on headphones. While I have not owned any cans that are known for a wide soundstage, I still never quite get the same feeling of a big wide soundstage from headphones that I do from bookshelf speakers. I don't know, maybe my brain just can't be fooled into thinking the sound is not coming from two cans right next to my ear. Regardless, soundstage is something I am not good at judging.

That said, the UF30's *did* give a wider surround sense than the M50s did -- they seemed to extend further left and right than the M50 managed. The instrument placement though was less clear but definitely was not a wall of sound. I hope that my sense of the soundstage wasn't just a reaction to the S-Logic marketing the UF30s have, claiming to give a "3D surround stage" (for the record... it does not. The music still sounds like it's coming from left and right to me, except for the vocals which are predictably center).

All in all, the UF30s pass the Dave Matthews test with flying colors. Very good all around presentation! It might not be the best for rock or heavy bass, but it is a great all around performer with a nice sense of sound stage, good separation and placement and excellent vocal rendering. It also has that warm airy presentation that lets the complex, sophisticated music such as Dave Matthews' envelope you. Big thumbs up, it gives a rather different presentation than the M50s do, with a less aggressive and more laidback presentation, but it is not quite inferior.

If you're the type that is wowed by in your face vocals the M50s are better but the UF30 manages a more laidback presentation that does not sacrifice the quality of the vocals, and retains a lot of the details in the highs as well. Very capable, very capable indeed.

The House Test

For electronica I decided to use Wez Clarke's mix of Bringing Me Back, as heard on Hed Kandi's 2009 Beach House album. This track has a lot of strong electronic beats and excellent, steady drum work -- nothing as fancy as Dave Matthews' but there to give strong attacks for you to really feel in your chest. And it wouldn't be complete without the lovely Maxine Hardcastle's vocals giving that sensual push.

The UF30s perform well with this track, giving just enough "oomph" to get into the groove, and yet its wide airy presentation puts you at ease with the sound. The vocals are not the forefront and blend in with the sound to give a kind of smooth tonic to get you drunk on. This works well actually and gives a very laidback feel.

However I will admit it's not great for the genre like the Metro.Fi 170s, which I feel are tailor-made for progressive electronica. They give a deeper thump (as we saw in the Beyonce test the UF30 is a little deficient here) that is really important for dance music. In addition the clear presentation of the 170s really put Maxine's voice in the thick of things, enough to give you a hard on with their sensuality. The strong treble performance matches that of the UF30's as well, something that the Bose OEs cannot do.

That said the UF30s still provide enough thump to make the track come to life. Although you won't feel like you're in a nightclub dancing it away as you do with the Metro.Fi's, the UF30 is able to do justice to this genre.

Not the best, but not bad at all.

The Chill Test

I picked Weird Love from Moodorama. It has a really fat, soothing bass tone all throughout coupled with airy male vocals and some synth strings and horns.

Now this is where the UF30 really shines. As opposed to dance music, this genre is for people to wind down in the chillroom after dancing. The same qualities that sort of detracted from making it an ideal House phone make it ideal for this genre. The warm, laidback presentation really pays off and creates a very soothing sound. The bass is present in just the right amount to lull you into relaxation without jarring you into alertness.

Compared to my old chillout phone, the Bose OE, this gives a better vibe as the bass is not too powerful, the sound is a lot airier and the vocals are smoother. My favorite chill set, the VModa Vibe, is also edged out slightly because the UF30 is just more laidback. The effect of getting the vocals to blend with the rest of the music into a tonic is perfect for this genre.

These have just become my new reference for chillout, lounge and lo-fi music. Match made in heaven.

The Brazilian Test

Okay, I chose Sitti Navarro, she's not exactly Brazilian but it's a smooth bossa-style track of one of her endless covers of other artist's work: Tattooed on my Mind. Following up the Chill Test this one gives a smooth, soothing sound without the electronica mixed in.

As expected, the UF30's totally ace the delivery! The lack of edge on the mids and highs lets you really appreciate the ambience of the music, as does the wide, airy soundstage. The soundstage really does sound wide here. I'm comparing it to the Grado SR60 and the ATH M50 -- both are too forward and aggressive to really get the right effect with this track. Make no mistake these two cans really gave a lot of zing and sparkle into this track, but for this kind of music super zing is not needed and airy spaciousness is preferred. I kind of miss the sparkle the M50 gave the vocals and guitars, but in the end I preferred the laidback airy, smooth feel of the UF30, and it's not like it didn't have some sparkle of its own -- just not as much as the M50s.

Taking a Walk

As promised, I would be rating this as a portable can so I definitely need to try it out while walking around and noting my experience. I tried using it for a jog and it performed admirably well for this purpose. One great thing about this set that you will get over any IEM is that you can actually hear what is going on around you!

While some may crave isolation, and indeed isolation was what let IEMs like the Metro.Fi 170 outclass the UF30 in some of the listening tests particularly in providing detail, when out for a walk on busy roads with cars just dying to turn you into a roadkill statistic, being able to hear what's going on around you could actually be a plus.

So with the UF30, you can listen to great music while out on the streets and feel safe in that you can tell well and enough whether you are about to be flattened by that passing 18-wheeler.

This also has additional added benefits. If you're reading this review I am sure it is safe to assume you love your music, and can't do without it. You're the type who goes out of the house with three essentials: wallet/purse, celphone, and let's not kid anyone, MP3 player. You simply must have your music within arm's reach at any given time. That means you also like listening to your music as much as possible!

But in our daily lives we actually need to function doing other things than listening to music... you know, like, uh, talking to other people. And the great thing about the UF30, like the Grado's before it, is that you can hold conversations with other people while listening to music! Can't really do that with IEMs.

And wait for it... since the UF30s look stunningly well-designed, you won't look like a dork doing it!

(( CONCLUSION ))

So as a street can that you can bring with you anywhere, doing anything, the UF30s just can't be beat. They are an excellent portable headset with incredible sound quality that can keep up with many genres. They are great for pop, for jpop, house, electronica, chill, lounge, jazz and lots of other little genres in between. They do passably well for alternative and rock, though I wouldn't push it with metal especially the deathly or trashy kind (did not try that).

I give them a hearty thumbs up, especially for the price point they are going -- about $80 US, I prefer them to my Grado SR60 and my Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3, which share about the same price range. They are a lot better than the PX100, VModa Vibe and AKG K81 DJ which cost slightly below, and while they will still play second fiddle to the M50, those do cost a bit more.

I'm using these now all the time as my portable cans. I have them with me all the time! While I wish the case were smaller to be easier to pack into a bag, it's still small enough to bring with you all the time.

Pros: wide soundstage, airy, laidback presentation, smooth and luscious bass with just enough thump, versatile clear mids and sparkling highs

Cons: might not have enough thump and edge for harder music, slightly recessed mids, could be slimmer for a portable

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 4
Nice review! I'm heavfily considering getting these or the Zinos for a friend of mine, other options being the PX200II and the Klipsch S4. The wide soundstage and good bass might provide that wow factor she would like, I mean I didn't even notice the bassline on irreplaceable until I actually went and looked for it lol, I thought it was just drums. I'm concerned that they have no isolation, but I mean, she's used to buds. But isolation for the subway would be nice.

So would you say you enjoy them more/they are better than the PX100?

EDIT:

Oh, btw how is leakage on these things?

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 4
These aren't for isolation, and neither are the Zino's. If she is used to buds you might as well get her IEMs. I would recommend the Metro.Fi 170 for that. Klipsch S4 as you listed would also be good.

If you have a bass-light headphone or speakers you definitely wouldn't notice the bassline, you'll only hear it if your equipment can reproduce the sound. When I was still using low quality equipment there were a lot of bass lines I couldn't hear.

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 4
Oh and regarding leakage they leak like hell. Not as bad as, say a Grado but people are gonna hear what you're listening to if it's quiet and you have the volume up. If you're listening normally, they'll hear some weird thing in the background but won't be able to really make it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back