NuForce uDac vs Musiland Monitor 02
Dec 29, 2009 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

hasanyuceer

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone knows which is better via USB?

Thinking about getting one but i am really confused...

Dec 29, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 23
The Musiland 02. 24bit/192kHz via usb cannot be beat at that price.

Dec 29, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 23
Some saying about uDac and its Sabre chip is best bang for the buck at these prices..

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 23
Compare the specs for yourself and decide. Don't rely on what others say blindly.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 23
the sabre dac is cheaper, and supported by an american company, and does not use propritary drivers. It also uses a Sabre dac as already noted. Do compare the specs, but they don't mean that much. People get so wrapped up about 24/192. That's only a small portion of the puzzle. And there's hardly any content anyways. Im sure the udac is comparable on SNR and THD. Although those numbers don't say that much, there are dac's that have relatively poor specs that sound more musical then better measuring gear.

They are probably both good pieces, the sabre chip is much newer then the burr brown dac in the Musiland, it's also got it's own output stage, there are no op-amps or capacitors in the signal path, other then the one built into the sabre. The sabre will also undeniably have superior jitter reduction, while the musiland will have the superior transport itself. That's a toss up.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 23
Absolutely. If specs were the be-all and end-all of the evaluation process then there wouldn't be much to talk about here. Ideally an A/B comparison will show up at some point.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 23
i'd also like to note the specs qouted on the ebay auctions for this dac are ********. They say 140DB signal to noise, the dac chip they use itself is only rated to 113 db, as found here

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1793.pdf

you never know what your gonna get from china.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 23
Thanks for answers, still dont know not to do but wont think about it and will get one..

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 23
LOL@ 140db what a joke

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd also like to note the specs qouted on the ebay auctions for this dac are ********. They say 140DB signal to noise, the dac chip they use itself is only rated to 113 db, as found here

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1793.pdf

you never know what your gonna get from china.

Just out of curiosity, i checked their ebay ads, and it actually said

Digital S/N: 140dB (A-weighted)
Digital dynamic range: 140dB (A-weighted).

I think the important word here is 'Digital.' I take this as referring to usb-to-spdif conversion. 140db is within the limit of 24 bit (144 db).

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by miyinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the Musiland had a lot of driver problems. Anybody comment on that? I trying to decide between these two as well actually.

I have the Musiland (bought of these forums) and initially was using 1.0.7.0 which sounded very good and am now using 1.0.8.4 (out 4th MArch) and it works perfectly. Have a selection of music in 16/44 up to 24/192 and they all play (using foobar2000) and sound great. Only thing is I'm not very good at noticing / differentiating / describing the nuances of different drivers or cables (as with the so called 'golden ears'), so I'm just going to listen to and enjoy my music.

Acer One > Musiland Monitor 02 US > Darkvoice 332 > Sennheiser HD580 (& AKG K701 when my birthday arrives).

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 23
I bought the $99 NuForce uDac for work and I'm sending it back. I'm using Grado SR-325i headphones and although I hear some little tonal differences, on my computer at work the NuForce does not give me any more detail or soundstage or give any more "life" to the music than I can get through the headphone output directly rather than through the DAC. My computer has some basic Dell soundcard - nothing fancy. "No difference" is not worth $99 to me.

Never ever ever rely just on specs. They are meaningless. Get whatever gear you want on home loan and listen to it and decide for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back