NuForce uDAC-2, Fiio E7 or HifiMAN EF2A?
Oct 20, 2011 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ack-fin

New Head-Fier
I've read just about everything I can find about both units and am still undecided.  For portability I am currently using a 2 year old Walkman ( the model # is covered by velcro), a Fiio E11 and a pair of NuForce NE-700.  This setup is my first attempt at getting something great to listen to.  I'm doubtful that I could satisfy myself more for the same $ with a different setup.  My musical taste is pretty eclectic and broad; no country or hip-hop.  I listen to more electronic music than anything else though.  I want my music to have lots of bass without it overpowering everything else.  I'll sacrifice bass for imaging, depth and clarity of course.  I hope that's enough info on my gear and tastes.  At home I take care of aging parents couldn't make use of a proper speaker/amp setup if I had one.  I'm trying to decide between the uDAC-2, the E7, or the EF2A for use with my Sony laptop and the NE700s.  I realize there's quite a price spread there but am trying to make this decision based on the DACs merits rather than cost. An old friend of mine used to make his living reselling audiophile equipment so I've listened to, at length, a huge variety of high end stuff and have always preferred that tube sound.  I haven't listened to a lot of electronic music through tube systems though.  So, will the EF2A make electronic music sound 'wrong'?  Is the uDAC-2 $50 better sounding than the E7?  I'd love to hear your input and experience and I apologize for lacking a better explanation of what I prefer but I hope you'll understand what I'm looking for.

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 11
The uDAC-2 is worse than the Fiio E7 in (almost) every way. Especially for the NE-700, with their low impedance.

The EF2A might also have high output impedance, there's not enough information provided to be sure.

I would get the E7, it's been proven as a quality component and (most importantly) has low output impedance so you'll get plenty of power and no coloration.

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
The uDAC-2 is worse than the Fiio E7 in (almost) every way. Especially for the NE-700, with their low impedance.

The EF2A might also have high output impedance, there's not enough information provided to be sure.

I would get the E7, it's been proven as a quality component and (most importantly) has low output impedance so you'll get plenty of power and no coloration.

When you say worse than the E7 does that mean that the E7 is that bad?  Is there something better in that price range that I should be looking at?

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 11
The EF2A isn't bad if you replace the tubes with better ones, but the E7 is probably a better choice.

Why not just use your portable set up at home and spend the money on better headphones? That's probably the best thing to do. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
When you say worse than the E7 does that mean that the E7 is that bad?  Is there something better in that price range that I should be looking at?

I can't think of anything better. Though it's helped by the fact that there's extensive third-party measurements of it, unlike the competition. It could be better in a few ways, like extreme treble and sub-bass (20Hz and 20kHz) THD with low impedances, but nothing that will improve its sound quality much. You won't hear those frequencies anyway. Its 1kHz THD is solid.

Of course, I'm one of those people who doesn't believe an amp and DAC does much, and does nothing past a fairly basic level of performance.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 11
Well. without skeptics we'd all just a bunch of Pollyanas.  My ears tell me what the numbers may not.  Granted, the difference between the NuForce and the old cheap Sonys is greater than the difference between the Nuforce with and without the amp.

Oct 22, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Well if its going to stay attached to your computer you can look at the fiio e10, ibasso product, and the hifiman hm101

Thanks xxhaxx for the heads up on ibasso.  I've spent all day reading reviews of ibasso products and ibasso in comparison to other portable amps and, even though I enjoy my E11, am going to upgrade to a ibasso D4 mamba and may even play around with some of the upgrades available.  After that, I think I'll have to upgrade my IEMs....my income will dictate what and when of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back