Nuforce NE-8 vs. Shure E2c
Dec 16, 2008 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DGarces89

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking around here for the past month or so, after my Shure E2c's broke (cable problems) and were past warranty. The Nuforce NE-7s caught my attention during that time, and decided to wait it out for the NE-8s, and order once they became available. At the time, both the E2c's and the NE-8's sold for close to $60 on amazon, and my budget was $75 max, nothing over that. The wait was worth it, and my NE-8s finally arrived today.

Straight out of the box, without any burn in at all, I noticed the bass was better than the E2c's, while maintaining good highs and mids. Tool's "Sober" sounded much deeper with the NE-8s than the E2c's. I threw on Caspian's (post-rock band) "Moksha" and "Brombie" and noticed a much wider soundstage instead of more a "closed-in" sound (the best way I can describe it) with the E2c's. These headphones sound AMAZING with post-rock, and are miles better than the Shures when in comes to rock in general, electronica, and trip-hop, although I wish they had a bit more punch in the bass.

I'd highly recommend the NE-8's over the Shure E2c's and even the SE210's (i tried my dad's pair for a bit, just to see), especially for those on a limited budget, or can't justify paying $400 for a pair of IEMs. The only advantage the Shures have is the 2 year warranty (which i needed, as mine broke every 5-6 months, and even worse in winter here in NY).

In case anyone was wondering I compared the two IEMs using an iPod Classic unamped. I know it's worse quality sounding umamped than the 5th gen, but I needed the space of the 160GB.

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 5
Yes, but i preferred the look + fit of the NE-8s. I wanted something that would be more flush with the ears, especially after the bulky E2c's.

I mean, there isn't a lack of bass, there definitely is more than the E2c's, and I wanted good Highs and Mids. After owning the V-Moda Bass Freq, having good highs and mids are more important than punchy bass.

Edit: Not to mention, these puppies still haven't burnt in yet, so if they're anything like the E2c's were after burning in, the bass should be slighty improved

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 5
I found them odd at first to be honest. I was used to the shure's going deeper into the ear, so when i put the NE-8s in, i thought the tips were too small. I replaced the medium-stock tips with the medium soft-flex tips from the E2c's, and although they went in further than the stock, they went in less than the E2c tips on the E2c IEM.

It's MUCH more comfortable this way, but less isolating. It's not terribly less isolating than the Shure's, but Shure's are superior in that area as compared to the NE-8s... Although, it'll make it easier to hear my surroundings, very important in NYC.

So basically, the tips aren't bad, but the Shure's are better (and increase bass a bit- better seal i'm guessing)... But no need to go out and buy new ones if you don't have any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back