NuForce Icon vs iBasso's?
Jan 18, 2009 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

khtse

Head-Fier
I have been actively reading this wonderful forum for the last few months, mainly because I have been looking for a USB DAC+Amp for my PCs.

Right now I am using the Creative Xmod external soundcard for my laptop. While this soundcard is considered as rubbish by many, it does provide significantly improvement over the laptop's internal soundcard. And since I paid only $30 shipped for it, I consider it very good value for the money.

Now I am consider buying a more serious USB DAC+Amp for my laptop. My budget is more or less around $200~$250. So things like Predator or PICO is out of my reach. Options that I am actually considering include iBasso D3/D10 (D10 slight exceeds my budget... and it hasn't been throughly reviewed yet, so I will probably wait a bit longer to see what people has to say about it) and NuForce Icon (not the mobile one).

I am not sure if I need the "portable" feature or not. I don't see myself using it with my ipod while walking on the street, but being small and not having to carry the power adapter around means that I can use it both at my office and at my home without much inconvenience.

Suppose the "portable" feature is not a concern, how would you guys compare the NuForce Icon to the iBasso's? I have read reviews that the Icon is a very good desktop amp, especially when using it to power desktop speakers. Yet, I have also read comments that it is not as great when using it as a headphone amp. As I will be using it mainly with headphones, I am looking for one that is better as a headphone amp.

Finally, my equipment. I mainly use my Sennheiser PXC450 noise-canceling headphone in my office (I am sharing office with another people, and the noise-canceling feature helps a lot!) and Etymotic hf-2 on the street. I am also considering getting a pair of Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 (for use at home) in the future (expecting some sweet deals when people are upgrading to HD800), so being able to power these headphones is also a plus.

Thank you for reading and your help in advance.

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 12
Welcome Newbi, Just save your time from upgrading, get the best one in the market, Non/DAC---P51--375+shipping or PICO and Predator you can get it second hand around 400, trust me buying a cheap one won't save your money later instead you will spend more and more, why just save you time and money to get the best one?

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 12
I agree with Sonicpath. I bought a portable Nuforce Icon Mobile around Xmas for my headphones and though it's been good it just has my head spinning in curiosity on how music can sound even better. I'm now saving up for pricier desktop setup.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 12
Just curious, how is the higest-end portable amp like the Pico and the Predator comapred to similarly priced "desktop" amp, i.e. if portability is not a concern?

From time to time, I read comment that even the best portable amp is not that good when compared to amps outside the "portable amp" category.

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 12
I have the Creative xmod too and i must agree with you that it does work ... besides the plug and play function makes it a breeze to use and the last i heard, it works with mac too. I think they recently introduced a new wireless x-fi soundcard for laptops too so maybe you would want to google that

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 12
very interested in this thread.. want to get a NuForce Icon for my D2000's and eventually desktop speakers later.

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ledzepberkeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the best amp/dac below $200 would be either the ibasso d2 boa or the nuforce icon mobile?

I tried the NuForce Icon Mobile with my Grado SR325is headphones and found it way too bright and shrilly. I have since returned it. Not a good match at all.

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #9 of 12
I used an ibasso d2 boa before with my RS-1. The combo was acceptable to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 12
the d10 is the way to go, no doubt about it. it can be used as a DAC and/or amp, you can opamp roll, it has optical and coax out, rechargeable batteries that charge off usb, scales very well with many different cans and has a TON of reviews, feedback and impressions. here is one, for instance:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/i...1-71-a-399315/

and another useful thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/u...ce-xm5-306883/

buy anything less then a d10, pico, predator or xm5 and you will be wondering what if...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back