Nuforce Icon usb Dac, preamp, headphone amp, power amp ... Everything in one~
Feb 6, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #76 of 86
The headphone amp in the Icon will only drive efficient headphones and then only sounding OK. It's speaker amp is it strong point. I wouldn't care to plug anything over a $100 into the Icon.

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #77 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphone amp in the Icon will only drive efficient headphones and then only sounding OK. It's speaker amp is it strong point. I wouldn't care to plug anything over a $100 into the Icon.

Alright. I didn't know it was that bad. If I told you that I would buy a separate amplifier later. What would you recommend?

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #78 of 86
I'm not saying the Icon is a poor product. I still use it for my desktop speakers. As a headphone amp its sound is fair but far too weak to drive most of the headphones on your list.

As for a recommendation, I wouldn't know where to start because I wouldn't know where to start for me. Audio gear is just different for everyone.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #79 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already own a Nuforce Icon which I bought to power my speakers. But now I'm interested in buying a pair of headphones in the range 200-300$. I want headphones that doesn't demand to much power from the amplifier. I listen to mostly rock and acoustic music like John Mayer, Dire Straits, pop like Owl city and also some hard rock and metal. But I would mostly like them to fit the acoustic genre.

I have read a lot of threads and I have found these cans interesting:

Denon AH-D2000
Ultrasone HFI780
Beyerdynamic DT770/DT880/DT990
Audio Technica ATH-M50
AKG k701 (need too much power?)

Which will work best with the icon and my taste?

What impedance does the icon handle? For example the Beyerdynamics is available in 32, 80 and 250 Ohms. What would work with the icon?

The AH-D2000 are pretty enjoyable with the Nuforce Icon, and those are the ones out of your list that I would recommend. I also discovered that feeding the Icon with the more detailed Nuforce uDAC will increase the Icon headphone amp's detail noticeably, while providing more power than the uDAC.

May 14, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #80 of 86
it's kinda cool where this thread ended because i am in the midst of trading a Meizu M6 for a NuForce Icon with some top-up.. i have also been looking at the uDAC as a DAC and was wonderin if anyone uses both the icon and the uDAC since they seem to do the same thing..

i have a thread over in Computer Audio asking about how to get more mileage in my current system..

PC (iTunes) --> USB --> Creative X-Fi 5.1 --> RCA --> Musical Fidelity Tempest Integrated Amp --> Normal DIY Audio Cable --> Bose AM5 (Woofer + 2 speakers)

where would i firstly insert the Icon? then subsequently.. if i go uDAC.. where would that go?

i currently use the following earphones/headphones.. what would be the best combi with the system above?

AKG K518
TF10Pro
Jays QJays
Grado SR60s
Atrios M8
Audeo PFEs

again, this thread has been really helpful.. thanks guys!!

May 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #81 of 86
From my experience, the Icon isn't really an amazing headphone amp or DAC. You could place the X-Fi but I don't see it being too useful anywhere. 

May 15, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #82 of 86
hmm.. there seems to be differing views but that's always the case with regards to audio equipment i guess.. 

@ypoknos: what would you recommend?

anyone that is more pro iCon?

May 15, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #83 of 86
The Icon is a pretty good speaker amp for its price, it's just the DAC and hp out are nothing special. Either way, you could replace the X-Fi. Since you already have the speaker amp I would get the uDAC or some other DAC with a headamp section - read around, lots of options.

May 16, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #85 of 86
I'll be honest, I personally think your best move would be to save for some kind of portable amp or headphone upgrade, it's not that the triple.fi is bad but the 'phones like the ESW10JPN are that much better in my book (bass impact, instrument separation, general clarity).

May 16, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #86 of 86
i have a pair of grados sr60 and will definitely look into getting a decent pair of cans in the near future.. have an AKG K518E which i consider my throw-around headphones.. ESW10JPN is kinda outta my league tho although i would love to hear recommendations.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back