Nuforce Icon usb Dac, preamp, headphone amp, power amp ... Everything in one~
Apr 16, 2008 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

Demix500

100+ Head-Fier
Thought this thread might spark some interest in the headphone amp section rather than the cable/speaker section since this is head-fi after all
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/nu...e-jack-282735/

review
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...5337#msg385337

The release date is april 25th.

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 86
Thats just my impression. Most of my high end cans are open cause I like the sound. The icon makes them sound almost electrostatic. Thats just how it sounds to me but it may be pleasing to others. Its not a bad character, just not a character I like.

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 86
Well, not a problem because i was only hearing positive comments on the Icon and began asking myself What are its problems. Apparently, it also pops when being turned on.
Yours do this?

Jun 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #7 of 86
To tell you the truth I really don't know about the turn on pop. I make it a habit not to have my headphones plugged in when I turn on equipment. I ran my Icon for ten days straight with my headphone before deciding the sound was not my style. It is now all packed up waiting to be sold so I cannot test if it does pop.

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 86
The Icon does pop when turned on, though so far it only seems to be on the speaker amp circuit (the headphone amp is a separate circuit iirc).

I think it presents pretty good value for the price, my main peeve with it is the built in DAC, which sounded too muddy for my taste. Been running a separate DAC now, which while not on the top of the pile presents the sound with greater clarity. My diyMod 5G sounded better than both, though I rarely do that due to the inconvenience.

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 86
I bought the Icon for the very convenience of all in one DAC/headphone amp. As it turned out, the sound was not my taste and being externaly powered made it more of a inconvience. I am sticking with the D2 and Headstage for now.

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #11 of 86
I primarily feed my NuForce Icon from my Apogee mini-DAC, and then use it to drive my Stax SRD-7 Pro bias electrostat speaker adapter with HE60 Baby Orpheus. The sound is heavenly, etherial, perfect.

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 86
Hey, why run the Nuforce with built-in DAC into Apogee mini-DAC?

All reviews I read on the Icon gave it high praise but another person has mentioned it sounded kind of airy. Any negatives you care to mention on this Amp/DAC unit?

I don't know if this because this unit relatively new, but there isn't much talk on the forum about this baby. Outside reviews give it high points.

Jun 28, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the Icon for the very convenience of all in one DAC/headphone amp. As it turned out, the sound was not my taste and being externaly powered made it more of a inconvience. I am sticking with the D2 and Headstage for now.

What kind of sound did it produce that did you did not like?

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by jojoarmani /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, why run the Nuforce with built-in DAC into Apogee mini-DAC?

All reviews I read on the Icon gave it high praise but another person has mentioned it sounded kind of airy. Any negatives you care to mention on this Amp/DAC unit?

I don't know if this because this unit relatively new, but there isn't much talk on the forum about this baby. Outside reviews give it high points.

Maybe because the NuForce doesn't have coax or optical input for my CD player? Also, my Macbook optical out to Apogee mini-DAC is better than any USB DAC, including my Pico.

I haven't found any negatives except the Nuforce with SRD-7 Pro lacks synergy with my SR-003 electrostatic IEM, but it is great with my Lambda Signature and HE60 Baby Orpheus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back