NuForce Icon Mobile vs NuForce uDAC
Mar 23, 2010 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

souperman

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking to buy one of the two. My usage for these will be as a USB soundcard and amp. I know the uDAC isn't for portable sources, but I'm really only going to be using it as a soundcard and amp from my computers. What's the difference, and which would be better for my usage? Thanks!

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 13
Per Larry's (Headphoneaddict) recommendations as well as Nuforce themselves (Nuforce.com | Product Comparison), if you are simply looking for a budget amp/dac combo for computer alone, then uDAC seems to be more of a sensible choice.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 13
Icon seems to have the better amp than uDAC, but everything I've read about Icon Mobile is that the uDAC trumps it even with its amp section. Unless you need the mobile's analog in and portability uDAC's better designed for desktop/computer use.

Perhaps look through HPA's uDAC thread for comparisons, PM him, or wait for more impressions here in this thread, though. This is all by the word of mouth as I only own one of the two (the uDAC), so maybe someone might disagree.

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 13
I'm looking at these two as well... I mostly listen to portable music, but I wouldn't mind the amp/dac for home use either... So I'm guessing in that situation, the icon mobile would be my best choice?

also, is the udac amp actually that much better than the mobile amp?

and forgive me for sounding like a complete n00b, I am...

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 13
The Mobile DAC isn't anything special, and the amp is a little bright. I can't comment on the uDac, but it seems to be a popular choice, and because the better DAC you'd probably gain more quality than the Mobile. None of your equipment is hard to drive so the uDac would be the way to go IMO.

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How come? I've heard that the Icon has a better amp.

Icon is a dac,headamp,integrated amp. it can power your passive speakers.

uDac is just a dac,headamp. u should use active self-powered speakers or add a separate power/stereo amp for your passive speakers.

icon is a decent dac,headamp but a gd stereo amp.
uDac is a slightly better dac,headamp but not a stereo amp.

so they are technically slightly different products.
and i think when u say u "heard that the icon has a better amp", i'm quite sure ppl meant the stereoamp portion of it which the uDac doesn't have.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #10 of 13
I've been looking at these to also. Im fairly new to all of this stuff. My equipment consist of a zune 16gb hd, westone 1, audio technica m50s, and swan m200mkiii. I use a fiio e5 with the zune and westone 1 at the gym but was thinking of getting the icon mobile to accompany the zune and m50s for other portable uses. Or I can jus use the fiio and get the udac for my laptop and swans. What would you guys recommend.

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #11 of 13
ditch the icon mobile, fiio e5 etc idea. If you are not satisfied with your zune+westone 1, sell your westone 1 and get a "better" earphone. More worth it and less troublesome right? (considering charging another amp, extra weight and cables etc especially for gym usage for just mimimal improvements)

I haven't audition the udac so wouldn't want to recommend things i never hear b4. But obviously i think it will be better than your laptop inbuilt soundcard. Whether is it worth the $$$, or are there better choices, you have to judge/research for yourself.

Example: i auditioned the icon hdp with 3 different of my setups and my conclusion was: "i heard much better stuff at that price range..", while there are ppl out there who apparently likes the icon hdp very much. Meaning, different ppl, different music, different setup, different ears, different opinions etc. Better to make your buying decision yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Again.. above is just IMHO.

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 13
Always get a better source than the earphones. Plugging a superb earphones into the pathetic notebook's output would be a much worse proposition than plugging in a so-so earphones into a very good source.

Simple logic I suppose I don't need to elaborate.

Jul 30, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Always get a better source than the earphones. Plugging a superb earphones into the pathetic notebook's output would be a much worse proposition than plugging in a so-so earphones into a very good source.

Simple logic I suppose I don't need to elaborate.

I'm sorry to say this, but I disagree. A crappy HP will always be a crappy HP, no matter the source or amp. A good phone will be a good phone, with the possibility to sound even better with a better source/amp.

Lasse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back