Nuforce Icon Mobile DAC running small desktop amp for HD650s?
Mar 6, 2011 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dubleon

New Head-Fier
Hi all, Just a quick question if you don't mind, I have the Nuforce Icon Mobile DAC/AMP and think it is a bit underpowered to drive the HD650s. Could I purchase a desktop amp e.g. Little dot mkv and source it through the Icon as a DAC? Would this sound better than my current setup? If not, is there a suitable reasonable desktop DAC? Also would the Pico AMP/DAC combo still be underpowered? Thanks, Leon

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:Originally Posted by dubleon 

"Hi all, Just a quick question if you don't mind, I have the Nuforce Icon Mobile DAC/AMP and think it is a bit underpowered to drive the HD650s. Could I purchase a desktop amp e.g. Little dot mkv and source it through the Icon as a DAC? Would this sound better than my current setup? If not, is there a suitable reasonable desktop DAC? Also would the Pico AMP/DAC combo still be underpowered? Thanks, Leon"

I had the Nuforce Icon Mobile when I had the HD650 and even with a few other amps I had I didn't feel the DAC section was the best for it. I don't think the Pico amp/DAC combo would be the best to drive them either. Although the Pico DAC might be fairly decent with am amp like the Headroom Micro Amp (AC version). I had a great match with the DacMagic and the Gilmore Lite combo. I also used the iBasso D2+ Boa as a DAC with both the Headroom and Gilmore with good results. I haven't heard the uDac but it might be good with a quality amp.

For the most part, however, you'll get best results from more of a desktop amp and DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back