NuForce Icon iDo - Mini Review
May 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #31 of 117
Quick question. I love using the R&B equalizer on my itouch, and probably wouldn't be able to listen to it without EQ. When this overrides the ipod's DAC, does it also basically nullify all settings on the ipod and set it to a completely flat response?

May 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #33 of 117
Hello,

Sorry for the bump, but does the iDo work on the go? Does it need to be powered with an adapter or is just charging it or only connecting it to the ipad/ipod enough?

May 20, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #34 of 117
Quote:
Hello,

Sorry for the bump, but does the iDo work on the go? Does it need to be powered with an adapter or is just charging it or only connecting it to the ipad/ipod enough?

No, it needs to be plugged in to work. No battery...sorry.

May 23, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #36 of 117
Check out threads on the HRT iStreamer which can be powered by buying a generic external battery. 

May 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #37 of 117
Quote:
Check out threads on the HRT iStreamer which can be powered by buying a generic external battery. 

Not sure, but can you pull the digital from an iDevice like you can with the iDo?

Jun 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #38 of 117
MacedonianHero,

I've read a lot of conflicting views that say an external DAC is a waste of money, because the iPod DAC is supposedly quite good and most external DAC's, even expensive ones, are hardly better.  They say it's just a "gimmick."  

Can you really say the improvement you're getting is from the DAC?  Perhaps it's simply the amp portion beefing up the sound?

Also, there appears to be some pretty damning evidence out there that NuForce products fail on objective testing.

Not taking you to task here, but merely curious to know what your thoughts are.  

I, myself, am very curious about this product and if it's really living up to its claims.  

Jun 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #39 of 117
Not sure, but can you pull the digital from an iDevice like you can with the iDo?

Hi, I'm not sure I understand your concern because the whole idea of the iStreamer, iDo, CLAS etc is to pull the digital signal from the 30 pin line out from an iDevice. They can also do so with lightning-equipped iPhone 5 and iPads. Or am I misreading your question?

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #40 of 117
Quote:
MacedonianHero,

I've read a lot of conflicting views that say an external DAC is a waste of money, because the iPod DAC is supposedly quite good and most external DAC's, even expensive ones, are hardly better.  They say it's just a "gimmick."  

Can you really say the improvement you're getting is from the DAC?  Perhaps it's simply the amp portion beefing up the sound?

Also, there appears to be some pretty damning evidence out there that NuForce products fail on objective testing.

Not taking you to task here, but merely curious to know what your thoughts are.  

I, myself, am very curious about this product and if it's really living up to its claims.  

Actually the iPod DAC is very mediocre (at best). Not a gimmick to my ears, the iDo really does improve things. And the nwavguy is someone I really don't give a lot of credence too. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #41 of 117
Quote:
Hi, I'm not sure I understand your concern because the whole idea of the iStreamer, iDo, CLAS etc is to pull the digital signal from the 30 pin line out from an iDevice. They can also do so with lightning-equipped iPhone 5 and iPads. Or am I misreading your question?

While a LOD can "pull" the signal out of the 30pin line out, they do NOT pull the  raw digital data, but rather the unattenuated analog. A unit must be licensed my Apple in order to do pull the digital stream.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #42 of 117
Quote:
Actually the iPod DAC is very mediocre (at best). Not a gimmick to my ears, the iDo really does improve things. And the nwavguy is someone I really don't give a lot of credence too. 

Ok, I may give the NuForce a shot.  I had to be skeptical because for the price it's hard to believe the claim it has an "audiophile-grade" DAC.  Still, if it improves the sound it improves the sound, right?  *fingers crossed*  I know nwavguy is rather controversial here, but he does seem to know a lot of about the tech-side.

PS -- Have you had a chance to use iDo with Grado cans?  I understand some 'phones may interact differently with it.  Thnx!

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #43 of 117
Quote:
Ok, I may give the NuForce a shot.  I had to be skeptical because for the price it's hard to believe the claim it has an "audiophile-grade" DAC.  Still, if it improves the sound it improves the sound, right?  *fingers crossed*  I know nwavguy is rather controversial here, but he does seem to know a lot of about the tech-side.

PS -- Have you had a chance to use iDo with Grado cans?  I understand some 'phones may interact differently with it.  Thnx!

Funny you should mention Grado cans. I've own many through the years (see my profile), but I've been Grado-less for over a year...and have recently picked up a pair of PS500s. I'll report back once I've heard them together.

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #44 of 117
While a LOD can "pull" the signal out of the 30pin line out, they do NOT pull the  raw digital data, but rather the unattenuated analog. A unit must be licensed my Apple in order to do pull the digital stream.

The iStreamer and CLAS are licensed by Apple so it will be the digital data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back