NuForce Icon iDo - Mini Review
May 16, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #106 of 117
I see.

Strange because the two iPod Classics I use with it doesn't exhibit that problem.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #108 of 117
Hello,
Can someone please tell me if the NuForce Icon iDo CHARGES an iPad mini w/retina display or any of the latest iOS devices of 2015 (iPhone 6/6s, iPad Air 2)?  I've been searching high and low for the answer but unable to get a "verified" answer.  I'm putting together an all digital system in my car and need the Icon iDo to send the pure signal through coaxial to a digital preamp while simultaneously charging the device.  NuForce's website suggests compatibility stops with an iPad 3 (not with Retina Display).  THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Corey

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #109 of 117
  Hello,
Can someone please tell me if the NuForce Icon iDo CHARGES an iPad mini w/retina display or any of the latest iOS devices of 2015 (iPhone 6/6s, iPad Air 2)?  I've been searching high and low for the answer but unable to get a "verified" answer.  I'm putting together an all digital system in my car and need the Icon iDo to send the pure signal through coaxial to a digital preamp while simultaneously charging the device.  NuForce's website suggests compatibility stops with an iPad 3 (not with Retina Display).  THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Corey

I don't have the iDo anymore but yes it charged my iPad mini w/retina (i.e. iPad mini 2) and iPhone 6.

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #110 of 117
I too have been looking for a optical out solution for my iPad/iPhone.  Someone on another board suggested I use the Apple HDMI adapter and run the HDMI into a converter (toslink out) and into my DSP.  The HDMI adapter is supposed to charge the device also, using an additional lightning cable.  Anyone try this and have some wisdom to share? 

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #111 of 117
Hello,

Corey

I confirm, the iDo charges an iPad Air, iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6 without any problems, it provides enough juice even while playing. But, mind what lightning cable you use. With Apple originals it works fine, but not with all third party cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #112 of 117
I confirm, the iDo charges an iPad Air, iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6 without any problems, it provides enough juice even while playing. But, mind what lightning cable you use. With Apple originals it works fine, but not with Afkl third party cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Confirming as well.  It charges my iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 on two different setups.  The iDo is a great little unit. 

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #115 of 117
After more than two years of almost daily use of the iDo with my Little Dot headphone amp and my HD-800's I have finally hooked up my iDo to my pre/pro in the living room. My iPad is connected to the iDo, and the iDo connected with a COAX digital cable to my processor. Like this, I can finally see which sampling rate gets through the iDo.

Well, the result is a bit surprising. All the music I play on my iPad, is passed through to my processor in 16bit 44.1kHz format.
Even if I play high resolution FLAC files (24/96 or 24/192) my pre/pro displays 16bit 44.1kHz.

I have tried many media player apps, including apps that advertise that they play hi-res FLAC files.
Everything plays of course, but all the apps (DS Audio, the Onkyo app, FLAC player, nPlayer, ...) seem to provide 16bit 44.1kHz only.

So... who is downsampling my hi-res audio? Is it the iPad? Or is it the iDo? What apps do play hi-res correctly? Or is the iPad simply not capable of pushing out hi-res audio? Anyone managed to get 24bit 96kHz audio out of the iDo?

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #116 of 117
Recently I got a Nuforce uDAC-2 as well. It sounds great, too. Connected to a laptop running Windows or a Mac, it does play 24/96 perfectly. I hooked it up to my processor and it displays 24bit 96kHz indeed.

So, I tested the uDAC-2 with my iPad. Using the Camera Connection Kit and a powered USB hub (quite a hassle which is why I prefer the iDo) I connected it to my processor and played a 24/96 file from DS Audio.

Guess what? Processor displays 16bit 44.1kHz. So, now I wonder, is the iPad able to push out anything above 16bit 44.1kHz at all?

It is reassuring that the iDo is acting the same as the uDAC-2 and thus the problem is my iPad. How to get 24/96 from an iPad then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #117 of 117
I discovered Dan Leehr's FLACPlayer and guess what? It outputs true 24/96 through a Nuforce uDAC-2! Great! But what about the iDo? Unfortunately, playing the same HD files through the iDo downsamples to 24/48...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back