NuForce Icon iDo - Mini Review
Sep 8, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #91 of 117
Now, after a day of putting this $99 runt-of-a-DAC/Preamp against a bevy of mucho dinero gear, I am even "more" wowed!

Those who have bought into the high-rez file craze and the more money=better sound reasoning may miss out on what, for me, represents the best buy of my past 30 years in audio. Believe me, I am still feeling very puzzled about this conclusion.

Just ordered another one and relegated my MephistoX transport and EnkianthusX DAC to their respective boxes. The IDo is a clear signal that, today, great sound is available for hundreds, not thousands of dollars.

Gear used for auditioning:

HPs: HD-800, HE-6 and 5LE, T1.

Amps: LF339, Hafler P1500, Threshold A400

Source: IPad, nPlayer using FLAC files over network (no MP3)

ICs and PCs: no-name brands

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #92 of 117
I still love my iDo, except for one thing. I wonder if anyone else experiences this.

With my iPod Classic (and only the Classic ... It doesn't happen with the iPhone or iPad), the first second or half-second of a song is sometimes chopped off, or clipped. It's quite annoying. It doesn't happen with every song, and if I skip ahead and then back it'll usually then play the song properly. Has anyone else run into this?

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #93 of 117
Not here - I'm using it with iPhone 4 (x2) and an iPod Touch.  No issues on any of the three systems but have not tried it on my Classic. 

I'll try it tonight or tomorrow to see if I have same issue as you. 

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #95 of 117
  Not here - I'm using it with iPhone 4 (x2) and an iPod Touch.  No issues on any of the three systems but have not tried it on my Classic. 

I'll try it tonight or tomorrow to see if I have same issue as you. 

Not with my iPod Classic either. Have you considered it might be your iPod? 

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #97 of 117
should i be able to control the volume on my ipod? i also noticed that i can should the ipod's eq to manipulate sound. i thought if using the 30 pin to usb cable would bypass the ipod's internal dac and would bypass volume and/or eq settings... any thoughts? thanks

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #98 of 117
Certain DAC amps like this and ADL's X1 do allow you to controls the volume from your iDevice even when using the Line Out. In the case of this device this is how you can use an Apple TV remote to adjust the volume, skip tracks, etc. As for EQ, I can't answer you as I don't use EQ.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #99 of 117
I use the ido with an ipod touch as well as a 7th gen classic. When using the touch the volume control on the ipod affects the volume through the ido. The volume control on the classic has no affect on the volume through the ido. Odd, isn't it?

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #101 of 117
Brushing off the cobwebs.
iPod Classic > NuForce iCon iDo > Marantz PM4000 > Arcam Delta 2 > my ears.

May 16, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #102 of 117
I'm still using my icon Ido, and I still love it!

May 16, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #104 of 117
I still use mine just about every day, and I still love it too. I got rid of my iPod Classic so I no longer have to worry about the issue I had with that.

Hi. What was the issue with the Classic?

May 16, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #105 of 117
Hi ... You can read about it further up on this page. I was having an issue with the first split second of songs being cut off with the Classic. No issues with the iPhones or iPad I use.

I only got rid of the iPod though because the 128GB iPhone I just got recently made the 160GB iPod kind of redundant for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back