NuForce Icon DAC with Android/DSD support now release!
Jul 30, 2013 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

wolfgang0119

Sponsor: NuForce

“With the advent of Smartphones and their enormous storage capabilities, a great many audio enthusiasts have been longing for a quality DAC/headphone amp they can simply plug directly into in order to experience their favorite music delivered with vivid clarity,” said Jason Lim, NuForce CEO.  “We’ve created a solution for Android users that we believe is comprehensive and fills the void.”

Icon DAC is a diverse device that can be used in the home or office.  The Icon DAC can be used as a DAC, a headphone amp or a preamp utilizing the secondary analog input for stereo signals from most home-audio and mobile sources.  The DAC is packed with the latest technology and accepts PCM sample rates up to 96kHz.  This 32-bit DAC supports 24-bit asynchronous operation while also providing Direct-Stream Digital (DSD) decoding capability.  

The discriminating headphone listener is also bound to be satisfied as the Icon DAC includes a proprietary headphone amp stage that drives the most demanding 600-Ohm headphones with ease. Comprising of a linear up-conversion topology, the Icon DAC delivers an incredible 24V rail-to-rail supply voltage to the amplifier circuits resulting in ultra-fast transient reproduction and uncompromised peak dynamic performance.

As a control center/preamplifier for use with external amplifier and speaker arrangements, audiophile-grade circuit design and parts ensure that the Icon DAC always delivers the ultimate in clarity to its stereo RCA outputs. A coaxial S/PDIF output is included for added system flexibility. 

The innovative design goes several steps further to include a linear power supply that provides only pure DC power to all circuits, a TOCOS high-resolution linear volume control for accurate rendering of critical low-level information, and quality construction throughout.

Product link: Icon DAC
Pre-Orde: NuForce estore

Specs & Features:
• High-precision 32-bit DAC
• Supports Windows 7, 8, Mac OSX, Android 4.1.1*
• USB Input from Android devices**
• Supports PCM and DSD over USB playback (DSD support on PC only)
• Powerful 8V output headphone amplifier
• 6.3 mm headphone output jack
• 3.5 mm analog input and RCA analog output
• Audiophile TOCOS volume pot
• Multiple stage filtering and regulated up-converted 24V rail power supply
• High-quality aluminum chassis

*Android compatibility is limited to smart phones running Android 4.1.1 that enables support for USB OTG Audio features. 
**HTC ONE X and newer version, Samsung S3 and newer version, SONY Xperia Z and newer version, and other mobile devices.

The Icon DAC is available now for $299 from several online stores and Nuforce dealers. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 96
Nice. I wonder how this stacks up to the HDP. I like the price much better--I thought about getting a HDP, but I was wanting a more affordable price. Pretty cool, guys.

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 96
Icon DAC and Icon HDP shares the same chassis as in several models in this line. But they have completely different design.
Icon DAC headphone amp is seriously powerful, same power as some pure class A headphone amp. 
Icon DAC also support USB audio for Android 4.1 and above with OTG feature (just about all the new Android devices should support it, see the list on our website), PC and Mac.

Icon HDP is a more general purpose high performance preamp, headphone amp and DAC.
Icon DAC is a designed to support Android where HDP can't.  
Basically if you do not need the SPDIF or preamp feature, definitely get the Icon DAC.  It is really good. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 96
I thought that Icon DAC has preamp feature as well:

Quote:
As a control center/preamplifier for use with external amplifier and speaker arrangements, audiophile-grade circuit design and parts ensure that the Icon DAC always delivers the ultimate in clarity to its stereo RCA outputs. A coaxial S/PDIF output is included for added system flexibility.

confused.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 96
They both have preamp function. They just differ in their array of inputs and outputs. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 96
Wow, this is really tempting at such a price.  I just wonder how this Icon DAC comes in at $149.00 less than the Icon HDP.  They both seem like pretty much the same thing.  What did they do to get this version to cost less?

Also, the link to the manual brings up the UDH-100 manual, not the Icon DAC.

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 96
Quote:
Wow, this is really tempting at such a price.  I just wonder how this Icon DAC comes in at $149.00 less than the Icon HDP.  They both seem like pretty much the same thing.  What did they do to get this version to cost less?

Also, the link to the manual brings up the UDH-100 manual, not the Icon DAC.

HDP's are getting a little long in the tooth.  My guess is that they don't cost as much as they used to to make.  This also only has USB for a digital input.  The HDP has optical and coaxial input as well.  

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 96
Please do. Anyone knows by now what DAC chip is inside this unit?

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 96
Wolfgang, can you state the power output of the Icon dac at varying levels of headphone impedances? Like:

???mw@32ohm
???mw@50ohm
???mw@250ohm
???mw@600ohm

Also what is it's output impedance? I believe the HDP was 10ohm. Looking for something closer to 2ohm or less.

It looks like a good amp/dac for the price, but I need to know these things.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 96
Wow, that's actually pretty powerful for almost every standard headphone.

Does the amp run in Class A?

Output impedance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back