NuForce Icon DAC with Android/DSD support now release!
Oct 13, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #91 of 96
I have been using the Nuforce DAC for 2 month and was more or less happy with it.
It had some hiss/noise floor but was powering my headphones well.

Suddenly the sound became really bad for 1h.
Now the sound is completely gone.

The power adapter has a green LED to indicate if it is plugged in.
When the DAC is turned off, the green light is on indicating the adapter is plugged in correctly.
As soon as I turn it back on, the light starts flickering and gets dimmed a lot.

I don't know if the problem is with the adapter or the DAC, but you are not the only one with a faulty device.

I contacted the support to see what they say about it.

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #93 of 96
  anyone here tried the HD-600 on Icon Dac? is the amp powerful enough to drive a 300-ohm headphone?

Yes, it will drive the 300 ohm HD600 and the HD800 nicely.  My son just borrowed my CEntrance DACmini out of my bedroom rig after RMAF, and I'm back to using the Icon DAC and CEntrance HiFi-M8 as my main bedroom rig for now.  Between the two DAC/amps I can cover most bases, and can hook up a nicer amp to the Icon DAC RCA outputs.

Tomorrow I am meeting a buyer for my Stello DA-100 signature DAC that was feeding my maxed Woo WA6 amp, so now I'm feeding the Icon DAC's RCA out into the Woo for when I want to listen to my Grados. The WA6 is a little more refined and detailed, but with it's low power I prefer to use the Icon DAC with my orthodynamics for loud listening.  I've never really spent much time with the Icon DAC and IEM, as I have other choices that I preferred like my WA6 and DACport.

In the bedroom, my HD800 sound the most fun and relaxed out of the Icon DAC's headphone out.  It makes them sound more punchy and non-fatiguing, while the M8 is more neutral and accurate sounding but allows the HD800's fatigue to set in after a couple of hours.  Both have enough power for HD600, but if you want to play at levels that will damage my hearing and vibrate your head then the Icon DAC will do it better.  The HD600 play loud enough out of the Icon DAC to kill your hearing pretty quickly, but for the extra detail retrieval and finesse I prefer to feed the Icon DAC into my WA6 for the HD600 (or use the HiFi-M8 with them).

Just got the Nuforce ICON DAC in the mail. I immediately plugged it into my Samsung Note 2 via OTG usb cable. unfortunately, no sound comes out. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!

My understanding is that with the older Samsung phones, or Note 2, you have to download an app from Google Play to play the music with an OTG cable into most DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back