NuForce Icon-2 (18w pc@8ohm) drive B&W DM685. Is it a bad idea?
Nov 28, 2012 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dbasale

New Head-Fier
Hi,
First of all I admit I'm new to the hifi world. Still learning and asking stupid questions around 
color]

The background is that I have a small creative D100 active speaker. To me it plays pretty loud and room filling (5m*5m). But after checking the specs, I'm surprised to see its output power is only 2*2W. Then I was just thinking even if I bought a super 100W pc amplifier plus two DM685 speakers, all I need would still be say 5-10W power from these guys to fill my room and meet my own level of loudness requirements 
color]
. Then, this small desktop amp, NuForce ICON-2, came into my radar, with 18W pc output.

On the speaker side, I was looking for those with 5" or 6.5" woofers and then found BW's DM685, DM686, and Scandyna's Minipod quite good and fit my needs. 

My question is can this little desktop amp drive these speakers? Does this combination make sense? Appreciate if you guys can share your thoughts.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 4
1. Yes - can drive those
2. Makes sense : i feel that amp for what it is leans on being a tad overpriced? If u looking for small have a look at TK2050 amps? The Topping TP22 comes to mind
3. Alternatively if brand new/small is not a must fish for vintage/classic used amps like NAD 3020, etc?

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the reply. As most time I play music from my computer, I'm looking for a AMP with built-in USB DAC. after some more research, I found the Cambridge Audio 351a, which meets my needs and even more power, 45W pc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back