NuForce icon-1 OR Meier-Audios
Feb 10, 2009 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kenta

Head-Fier
Dear head-Fier,

I am considering purchasing a USB/DAC-based headphone amp. Due to living in Germany, the choices like BENCHMARK DAC1 USB are not quite interesting because of the the inappropriate $ to € direct price conversion. It makes many decent headphone amps too much to reach on this land. However, I manage to find some supplier which provide a NuForce icon-1 with a reasonable price.

I know Meier-Audio for its excellent reputation of headphone-amp maker. I admit that Meier-audio was the first and only choice I decided to purchase, until I learned about NuForce icon.

There are 2 models from Meier-Audio which I intended to buy, CORDA 3MOVE and CORDA CANTATE.2. Both are attractive and I feel that the prices are ok. I never have an experience with any of Meier-Audio's product but from its high regard, I believe they can't go wrong.

However, NuForce icon is not bad in many reviews I found. Plus, it can fulfill as a integrated amp as well, which I consider it is a nice add to have. I don't know much about the sound quality of this icon-1 in term of headphone output. If anyone would provide me some, I would be extremely appreciated.

I intend to use one of these amp with Shure SE530 and Etymotic ER-4P. I like natural sound with bright sound stage, airy but well defy with decent amount of bass (but not hip-hop boom boom, of course)

Thanks in advance, guys !

Kenta

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi,

The Corda 3Move is a portable amp and runs on battery, the Cantate and NuForce icon-1 are desktop amps and are plugged into the power supply.

As both the 'phones you mention are the in-ear type would you really want a desktop amp?

In case you missed it, the Nuforce portable amp is called the "NuForce Icon Mobile"

Sorry I can't help you choose but I've never heard any Nuforce amps.

Steven.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

The Corda 3Move is a portable amp and runs on battery, the Cantate and NuForce icon-1 are desktop amps and are plugged into the power supply.

As both the 'phones you mention are the in-ear type would you really want a desktop amp?

In case you missed it, the Nuforce portable amp is called the "NuForce Icon Mobile"

Sorry I can't help you choose but I've never heard any Nuforce amps.

Steven.

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the post. Yes, I aware of the difference between desktop amp and the portable amp. I do not intend to carry a portable amp while out-going, it is a bit inconvenient for me. I intend to use one of these amps as a desktop amp. Yes, the NuForce icon mobile looks interesting as well, since it is also a USB/DAC.

regards,
Kenta

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Yes, I aware of the difference between desktop amp and the portable amp. I do not intend to carry a portable amp while out-going, it is a bit inconvenient for me. I intend to use one of these amps as a desktop amp.

Then I would suggest that you get a portable amp. I plugged my Triple.Fi earphones into my Arietta desktop amp and almost blew my head off.

Very little touch on the volume control and it was too loud to use.

Steven.

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #5 of 7
Any idea of headphone output of NuForce icon?

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any idea of headphone output of NuForce icon-1 ?

I can't find an Icon-1 on their web page, but they have one of these:
Nuforce Icon

Headphone Output:
* Maximum output @32 ohm Load: 31.25mW
* THD (20Hz ~ 20KHz) : < 0.03%
* Frequenc Fresponse (20Hz ~ 20KHz) : < -1dB

Steven.

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't find an Icon-1 on their web page, but they have one of these:
Nuforce Icon

Headphone Output:
* Maximum output @32 ohm Load: 31.25mW
* THD (20Hz ~ 20KHz) : < 0.03%
* Frequenc Fresponse (20Hz ~ 20KHz) : < -1dB

Steven.

Yes, ... you are right again. How could I type icon-1. Maybe my brain was blurred yesterday. Thanks a lot Steven!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back