Nuforce HDP vs. WYRED DAC1 - I have both
Jul 31, 2010 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jodet

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a main hi-fi system in the family room and I do my headphone listening in a dedicated headphone only system in my office (by the comfy chair). 

The main system is Harbeth P3ESR's with a Blue Circle SBH as a pre-amp and MF Monoblocks.  Source is a Cambridge or Onkyo spinner and a WYRED DAC1. 

My headphone setup was just a cd-player into my tube headphone amp, the Soundquest SQ84-V2.   Recently I added an HDP to that setup and it is a huge improvement over whatever DAC is in my cd players, Cambridge, Onkyo, etc.   A HUGE improvement.

Last night I took the WYRED dac and put it in the headphone system.   As good as the HDP is it can't stand up to a thousand dollar dedicated DAC.   It was like 'Bambi vs Godzilla'.   The WYRED dac has way, way more detail than the Nuforce.   It wasn't close.

So.  Damn.   As long as having a little headphone setup was just 'get an amp and a source' I thought it was ok.   But now that I've been ruined by the sound of a thousand dollar dac I might have to fold up that headphone setup and just do my headphone listening in the main room.    Now that I see (hear) how good an expensive dac can be it's hard to justify having two systems.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 7
I don't have the HDP, but the modified W4S DAC-1 I have is killer. It's a musical revelation. Very difficult to tear myself away from, like tonight! Pairs very nicely with my highly modified DNA Sonett. 

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 7

Can give more impression about your WYRED DAC1?
Quote:
I have a main hi-fi system in the family room and I do my headphone listening in a dedicated headphone only system in my office (by the comfy chair). 

The main system is Harbeth P3ESR's with a Blue Circle SBH as a pre-amp and MF Monoblocks.  Source is a Cambridge or Onkyo spinner and a WYRED DAC1. 

My headphone setup was just a cd-player into my tube headphone amp, the Soundquest SQ84-V2.   Recently I added an HDP to that setup and it is a huge improvement over whatever DAC is in my cd players, Cambridge, Onkyo, etc.   A HUGE improvement.

Last night I took the WYRED dac and put it in the headphone system.   As good as the HDP is it can't stand up to a thousand dollar dedicated DAC.   It was like 'Bambi vs Godzilla'.   The WYRED dac has way, way more detail than the Nuforce.   It wasn't close.

So.  Damn.   As long as having a little headphone setup was just 'get an amp and a source' I thought it was ok.   But now that I've been ruined by the sound of a thousand dollar dac I might have to fold up that headphone setup and just do my headphone listening in the main room.    Now that I see (hear) how good an expensive dac can be it's hard to justify having two systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back