Nuforce HA-200: High performance, Single Ended, Class-A Headphone Amplifier
Jan 23, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #106 of 295
Well, for you the road to madness could likely look like an HRT Music Streamer HD, feeding XLR into a pair of Nuforce monos...

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #107 of 295
This is exactly what I´m thinking about :)

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #108 of 295
  Hello Mike,

my setup is MacBook Air->Audirvana->HRT Microstreamer->Nuforce HA-200-> Audeze LCD-XC.

I hope I can resist buying a second HA-200 but it seems to be hard work.

Regards
Olaf

Nice!  I've read some tempting reviews about the LCD-XC.  I'd like to give those a listen.

I'll be posting my current impressions of the single HA-200 and I'll follow-up that review with my thoughts on the monoblock setup.

Mike

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #109 of 295
NuForce HA-200 Stereo Mode Single-Ended Review. 

One Amp.  One Mission.  One Goal.

Unhappy?  Or, did I just simply desire something different?  No.  I was unhappy.  My present amplifier sounded atrocious and it was a deplorable match with my Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

I began researching and shopping for a new headphone amplifier in an effort to find the warm and engaging sound the Sennheiser HD650’s are known for.  I not only needed an amplifier that would unleash the true and full sonic potential of the HD650’s but, an amplifier that I could grow with as my desire for excellent sound and lust for future headphones continues.   

With so many options available, how could anybody decide on a single headphone amplifier that would sound great for years to come while being paired with a variety of different headphones?  Trust me, it isn’t easy.  Where to begin?

Price.  That’s a good place to start!

I didn’t want to get carried away, and spend thousands, like so many other times in the past.  I had to establish a boundary.  I set a target price of $500 but, I had some wiggle room in my budget.

I decided against purchasing a tube, or tube hybrid amplifier because for me, tubes, and tube rolling is a never ending journey.  With tubes, I’m never happy because there is always another tube to try, and without trying it, I don’t know if I’m getting the most out of my system.  I didn’t want to go there.
I surmised a reasonably priced solid state headphone amplifier was the way to go. 

I narrowed my considerations to the Schiit Asgard 2, the Nuforce HA-200, CIAudio VHP-2, and the Burson Soloist SL. 

I purchased the Nuforce HA-200. 

I based this decision on previous experiences with their products, reasonable price ($350), and if desirable, having the titillating opportunity to connect a pair of HA-200’s together ($700) in mono/balanced mode quadrupling the available power, thus opening the labyrinth to nearly any future headphone pairing.

I’ll spare you the majority of the technical talk and just give you the music.

At first glance the HA-200 looks more like a speaker amplifier than a headphone amp, mostly due to its size (9”x9”x2”) and weight (5 lbs.).  The amp is simplistic, rugged, and well built.  The aluminum front panel has a quality appearance and boasts one ¼” TRS jack, an ugly oddly covered single 3-pin XLR connector, a tiny red LED power indicator, and an unmarked, front-panel-matching aluminum mystery volume knob.  Pretty basic.  However, overall, I’d have to say the fit and finish is clean and impressive for the price.

The first thing you’ll notice is that the HA-200 runs hot, real hot.  But, it is dead quiet, even at 100% maximum volume.

I wasn’t sure what to expect but, WOW!  The HA-200 completely transformed the sound of the HD650’s.  There is plenty of volume available and the HA-200/HD650 combo can play LOUD and CLEAR.  The lows are fast, have impact, and are reasonably deep.  The highs are slightly edgy but, textured well and reasonably smooth.  The detail, engaging, and the soundstage is focused with distinct instrument separation.  I feel I’m hearing my music as I should.  I’m no longer focusing on the components.  Just the music.  Which is a good thing and precisely what this Hobby is all about.

I don’t know if the Nuforce HA-200 is the BEST choice for the HD650’s but, my ears are surely thrilled with the excellent sounding combination. 

Mike

Source:
Oppo BDP-95
Dac: 
(See Source)
Amp:
NuForce HA-200
Headphones:
Sennheiser HD650 / Charleston Cable Company Cables
Music Preferences:
Rock (85%), Classical (5%), Jazz (5%), Electronic (5%)

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #110 of 295
i realize this may be a zombie thread at this point, but im considering getting a ha-200 after reading all positive reviews here on head-fi. glad that they utilized all the space inside, arranged components to maximize airflow, and kept the stackable form-factor. very nice nuforce, apparently you've done it again!

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #111 of 295
  I decided against purchasing a tube, or tube hybrid amplifier because for me, tubes, and tube rolling is a never ending journey.  With tubes, I’m never happy because there is always another tube to try, and without trying it, I don’t know if I’m getting the most out of my system.  I didn’t want to go there.
I surmised a reasonably priced solid state headphone amplifier was the way to go. 

i am a through-and-through tube amp GUITAR PLAYER, but when it comes to hifi, i just find that QUALITY solid-state is really beginning to eclipse tube in sound reproduction. i feel like with the newer technologies/implementations like PWM, and direct-digital topography, soundstages seem to be bigger, power usage is much more efficient, smaller enclosures, AND less fragile. i've been down the tube rabbit hole many times myself, and sometimes it gets to be too much. i like have freedom to tube roll, but just like musicians, GAS is real. ( i dont know what you guys call it here on headfi). GAS = gear acquisition syndrome

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #112 of 295

i am a through-and-through tube amp GUITAR PLAYER, but when it comes to hifi, i just find that QUALITY solid-state is really beginning to eclipse tube in sound reproduction. i feel like with the newer technologies/implementations like PWM, and direct-digital topography, soundstages seem to be bigger, power usage is much more efficient, smaller enclosures, AND less fragile. i've been down the tube rabbit hole many times myself, and sometimes it gets to be too much. i like have freedom to tube roll, but just like musicians, GAS is real. ( i dont know what you guys call it here on headfi). GAS = gear acquisition syndrome

I would agree that the new solid-state amplifiers have come a long way over the years.  I continue to be impressed.
And like you, had I decided on a Tube amplifier, I'd likely be shopping and spending money on tubes as I type this.

I am still patiently waiting for my second HA-200.  But, I don't have an ETA.  : (

Mike

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #113 of 295
Just got my HA-200 last night. Only had a chance to listen briefly, so I'll add some more impressions later. So far all I can really say us that it mellowed out my HE-400i very nicely.

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #114 of 295
where did you order from? i cant seem to find a place selling new ones. ever since optoma bought out nuforce, i cant figure out their friggin website. amazon only had a used one.

Feb 17, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #116 of 295
im in MA, USA..

Feb 17, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #117 of 295
  where did you order from? i cant seem to find a place selling new ones. ever since optoma bought out nuforce, i cant figure out their friggin website. amazon only had a used one.

Pretty sure I bought the last new one from Amazon 
biggrin.gif

Don't know why they are so hard to find... I couldn't find a new black one anywhere. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #118 of 295
thats the pickle im in now.. looking for a black new one too..

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #120 of 295
Ok, initial impressions. Using Concero DAC and HE-400i. 

Very relaxed sound overall. Takes the edge off the HE-400i nicely. Poor recordings gain a lot of life. 

Reminds me of ZMF Vibros--warm and smooth while also clean and detailed. 

Extended on both ends but a little on the polite side. 

Effortless control with nice black space. 

Definitely gets really hot. Solid, minimalist build. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back