NuForce DDA-100 impressions thread (computer, but not headphone, DAC/amp)
Oct 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #16 of 72
Quote:

I'm still listening for my review, but so far so good. It's got an unbelievable amount of drive for the small size and weight of the box, and it seems really transparent which indicates the "DAC" aspect is well done. 

I'll second that.  My speakers are easy to drive, so I can't comment on that aspect, but it sounds terrific.

Anybody else listened to this yet?

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #17 of 72
I'll second that.  My speakers are easy to drive, so I can't comment on that aspect, but it sounds terrific.

Anybody else listened to this yet?

I'm using somewhat difficult to drive speakers... Or maybe difficult is the wrong word, but they certainly aren't super efficient. So far I've tried Sjofn (the clue), Octet Matrix DE7, and Salk Wow1, all of which are in the mid 80 dB region. In my medium sized room they all go plenty loud.

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #20 of 72
When is the review coming? I'm looking forward to reading it! 

Maybe I can ask you a question anyway, will you say they are good enough to drive B&W DM683 with authority?

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #21 of 72
Quote:
When is the review coming? I'm looking forward to reading it! 

Maybe I can ask you a question anyway, will you say they are good enough to drive B&W DM683 with authority?

Sorry, it could be a while as I've got a few reviews in line ahead of it. 

For those speakers: I would think it should be fine but I'm not positive. They are somewhat more difficult than the average speaker, having a 6 ohm nominal impedance and dipping down to 3.2 ohms at times. HERE are the measurements. NuForce seems to rate their DDA100 as giving 75wpc at 4 ohms, so I assume it is capable of doing what it says. 

You could always email them to double check - I've always found them helpful and responsive. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #22 of 72
"I'm not an audiophile".  Nice try, barbes.  I totally emphasize. :)

Teasing apart, thanks for reviewing them.  They look pretty interesting.  I might get one. :)

[]s
Walfredo

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #23 of 72
So, 6moons has a less than flattering review.  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nuforce17/1.html

Anyone else had more experience with it?

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #24 of 72
Quote:
So, 6moons has a less than flattering review.  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nuforce17/1.html

Thanks for this.  I read the review and don't recognize what he's talking about at all.  One of the things I really like about the unit is that it sounds about as little "digital" as any digital gear I've heard.  It's almost as if we're talking about two different pieces of equipment (and maybe we are, if you read the review; I think I have one of the earlier production units).  Very strange.  

We need more impressions.

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #27 of 72
Quote:
I, too, found the six-moons review odd.

I've reviewed the DDA-100 for TAS.

The review should be in the next issue.

If only it had twice the power...

Totally agree Steven. My review will be up at InnerFidelity one of these days, but it sounds like we both liked the unit more than Srajan. Oh well. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #28 of 72
Trying to read those 6moons reviews always leaves my head spinning. I couldn't tell which product he was talking about half the time between all the flowery prose. I seem to share some of his sentiments on the DAC-100 though (of which I'm writing my own review as well). 

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #29 of 72
I like his flowery writing... He gives a lot of similes/metaphors to describe sound, and where it lies within the audio spectrum. Much more descriptive than just saing its warm, cool...

But maybe its synergy at work. Perhaps Srajans components ask for certain kinds of DACs, idk. Look forward to everyones reviews.

I owned the Ref 9 v1, v2 & v3. Somewhere between the v2 & v3 they lost their magic and I sold them. But the v2s were addicting and great amps for the money.
M

FYI I think Darko emulates Srajans style a bit.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #30 of 72
Quote:
I like his flowery writing... He gives a lot of similes/metaphors to describe sound, and where it lies within the audio spectrum. Much more descriptive than just saing its warm, cool...

But maybe its synergy at work. Perhaps Srajans components ask for certain kinds of DACs, idk. Look forward to everyones reviews.

I owned the Ref 9 v1, v2 & v3. Somewhere between the v2 & v3 they lost their magic and I sold them. But the v2s were addicting and great amps for the money.
M

FYI I think Darko emulates Srajans style a bit.

Agreed. I find both entertaining (Darko more so), even if I don't always understand what they are trying to describe, or agree with their conclusions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back