Nu Force uDAC2 enough for AKG K271s?
Apr 29, 2011 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JAG07

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to purchase the AKG K271 MKII. I've been told that they will be too hard to drive from my computer. So an amp is what I'm in search of for them.
Will the nuforce uDAC2 give me enough power?
I already have the Fiio E5, but I have a feeling that will also not be enough to drive them.
Or should I just go with the suggest K540s or Q460s which would be easier to drive?

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 7
When I had my K271 MKII's, I found them to be very good sounding out of my plain old UDAC version 1. I would think that UDAC-2 would be good enough, at least power wise anyway.

May 6, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the help. Those amps are a little out of my price range and size requirements. I was hoping to find something that could be truly portable. Perhaps a different model would suit me better if the K 271 will be too hard to drive. 

May 6, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 7
Fiio e7 beats the udac2 in anyway and everyway. That adds up to a killing.
In sound quality, build quality, price, number of ways you can use it...

And i'm not a fiio fanboy!

akg's stink with the udac, as the udac stinks.
akg's shine with the fiio e7, as the fiio shines.

So a brilliant setup will be the computer---fiio e7---akg k271mkII.
Then if you want you can get the e9 later.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 7
So what did you get?

For those who will use this as reference, I listened to the uDac2-HP on the K171 Mk II (same driver... almost exactly the same sound... I've listened to 'em both). It doesn't take too much more than 15mw to get a great sound from those cans, so the uDac2 has the juice, but I found that my music from my laptop sounded much better from its jack than from the uDac2. Others have given a technical analysis as to why the uDac2 is a poor performer. I found I couldn't hear details as well and things were a little clipped at times. That bugs me a lot.

I got a NuForce Icon HD and it matches extremely well with the AKG's... maybe a bit too powerful. Anyway, I heard all kinds of new things in the music and I'm still rolling with that setup today. You get what you pay for... up to a point at least, and that point is beyond the price range of the uDac2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back