Nozzle Diameter Repository?
Sep 6, 2022 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

aggielaw

Head-Fier
Hi all. Does anyone here know of a repository or repositories of IEM nozzle diameters?

Tried the Blessing 2 Dusk with its massive 6.5mm diameter nozzle and wound up in the emergency room with a nasty case of cellulitis, so nozzle diameter is my first concern in purchasing new IEMs.

Interestingly, I can't even find nozzle diameter as a spec for any IEMs I research on a manufacturer's page, which seems very odd to me.

Thanks for your advice!

Sep 6, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 11
Hi all. Does anyone here know of a repository or repositories of IEM nozzle diameters?

Tried the Blessing 2 Dusk with its massive 6.5mm diameter nozzle and wound up in the emergency room with a nasty case of cellulitis, so nozzle diameter is my first concern in purchasing new IEMs.

Interestingly, I can't even find nozzle diameter as a spec for any IEMs I research on a manufacturer's page, which seems very odd to me.

Thanks for your advice!

I can’t think of one. For something that can make or break the experience for people, it is a very important specification omitted by most manufacturers. Most chi fi company reps on here are quite responsive and should be able to give accurate measurements on request.

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 11
I see you're not getting much help here. I've had a similar problem because of my narrow ear canals. All I can suggest is to work backwards. Some tip manufacturers (Comply, Spin Fits and maybe others) on their websites have a search function to match the proper eartips with iems by make and model. The iem manufacturer list isn't extensive but you might get lucky. If you do, the eartips makers provide both the inner and outer diameters of their tips. So that'll give you an idea of the approximate diameter of the iem nozzle diameter. Best I can come up with. Good luck.

Sep 11, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 11
No such repository that I can think of although I agree nozzle size should be specified (someone around here commented it would be unthinkable for a camera lens to be sold without specifying the filter size) especially if it’s something out of the ordinary.

There are also other factors that may make fit awkward or painful though - for instance, insertion depth and canal angle of the nozzle, the size of the IEM’s body, or the shape of the eartip or the material it’s made of.

Only pointing this out as some of the IEMs with the smallest nozzles also require the deepest insertion and I’m talking about Etymotic, although their ear tips are much softer and more comfortable these days. Shure, Westone and Klipsch have similarly tiny nozzles iirc but I haven’t heard those in years.

Not sure what your budget is or what kind of sound you’re after but it might also help to look at the smaller bean-shaped shells that typically don’t call for overly deep insertion or try to fill your ears like a quasi-CIEM. Like the Sennheisers, or this one from Acoustune which I happen to be listening to now (with its stock 3.5mm cable for scale). At any rate, good luck with your search.

757A9F1E-46CB-4D8C-B607-8C86187CFCD7.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 11
I don't have any truly helpful advice, but I'm definitely watching this thread now. Always been frustrated by having to watch tons of reviews to see if any reviewer mentions nozzle size. Thanks for the useful info so far guys.

I think the best way about it is to hone your search based on the sound and features you're after, and then post a question in the corresponding IEM model thread here on head-fi. If it's a popular model someone is bound to help you out with a measurement (eventually). I have digital calipers and am happy to measure anything I own (listed in my sig). If anyone is interested in those models feel free to PM me.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 11
No such repository that I can think of although I agree nozzle size should be specified (someone around here commented it would be unthinkable for a camera lens to be sold without specifying the filter size) especially if it’s something out of the ordinary.

There are also other factors that may make fit awkward or painful though - for instance, insertion depth and canal angle of the nozzle, the size of the IEM’s body, or the shape of the eartip or the material it’s made of.

Only pointing this out as some of the IEMs with the smallest nozzles also require the deepest insertion and I’m talking about Etymotic, although their ear tips are much softer and more comfortable these days. Shure, Westone and Klipsch have similarly tiny nozzles iirc but I haven’t heard those in years.

Not sure what your budget is or what kind of sound you’re after but it might also help to look at the smaller bean-shaped shells that typically don’t call for overly deep insertion or try to fill your ears like a quasi-CIEM. Like the Sennheisers, or this one from Acoustune which I happen to be listening to now (with its stock 3.5mm cable for scale). At any rate, good luck with your search.

757A9F1E-46CB-4D8C-B607-8C86187CFCD7.jpeg
Excellent points, and I appreciate the well-considered note about other aspects of design affecting fit. I bought the Sony IER-M9s, with a 4.4mm nozzle, to replace the Dusks. I also own three sets of Etymotics. As far as I can tell, I'm in a rare camp that doesn't mind the deep insertion requirements of the Etymotic. The M9 actually annoys me a bit because its insertion is so shallow I never feel like I get a good seal, which hampers the bass response. When I moved from primarily using headphones to IEMs a few months ago I had no idea fitting would be such a challenging ordeal. I guess it's just another thing to love about the hobby. :)

Sep 20, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 11
Excellent points, and I appreciate the well-considered note about other aspects of design affecting fit. I bought the Sony IER-M9s, with a 4.4mm nozzle, to replace the Dusks. I also own three sets of Etymotics. As far as I can tell, I'm in a rare camp that doesn't mind the deep insertion requirements of the Etymotic.

Apparently I don’t mind the deep insertion of Etymotics at all either :)

The M9 actually annoys me a bit because its insertion is so shallow I never feel like I get a good seal, which hampers the bass response. When I moved from primarily using headphones to IEMs a few months ago I had no idea fitting would be such a challenging ordeal. I guess it's just another thing to love about the hobby. :)

Oh yes, I’ve had that shallow insertion issue with more IEMs than I care to remember. It sometimes has to do with nozzle length (and/or the shape of the IEM vis-à-vis that of your ear). One more thing you could try is extending the nozzle using eartips with longer stems, like the grey-stemmed Azla Sednaearfit tips (I like the black ones personally but they can be stiff and the white ones are softer).

4B3F9FF9-89D8-45B2-B59F-C9204F81D97C.jpeg

Or you could try adding a spacer or keyboard o-ring to space the eartip further out on the nozzle, though it would mean less nozzle for the tip to hang on to.

Hope that helps :)

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 11
Apparently I don’t mind the deep insertion of Etymotics at all either :)

Oh yes, I’ve had that shallow insertion issue with more IEMs than I care to remember. It sometimes has to do with nozzle length (and/or the shape of the IEM vis-à-vis that of your ear). One more thing you could try is extending the nozzle using eartips with longer stems, like the grey-stemmed Azla Sednaearfit tips (I like the black ones personally but they can be stiff and the white ones are softer).

4B3F9FF9-89D8-45B2-B59F-C9204F81D97C.jpeg

Or you could try adding a spacer or keyboard o-ring to space the eartip further out on the nozzle, though it would mean less nozzle for the tip to hang on to.

Hope that helps :)
Excellent suggestions, thank you! I have the Azla Xelastec but not those you suggested. I'll give them a try. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back