Nozzle Barbs on Shure SE210 Ripping Sleeves
May 18, 2007 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

delenda est Sony

500+ Head-Fier
The new Shure SE210s sound awesome, and are very comfortable, and the new black foam sleeves are excellent. However, when I take them off for cleaning (a frequent duty) the "nozzle barb" on the earphone rips up the inside of the sleeve pretty badly, even to the point of making one sleeve unusable due to structural damage.
frown.gif

I've owned plenty of earphones by Etymotic and Shure, and I have the usual gentle pull and twist motion down for getting sleeves off, but these damn nozzle barbs seem to have redefined the necessary techniques. I hate to be cynical, but I don't see the design point for Shure putting these barbs in; my old E2s had a sleeve come off maybe once in three years of usage. I hope Shure didn't chuck these barbs in to deliberately wear sleeves out more quickly...

In any case, do any Shure users have the same issue and if so has anyone found a sleeve removal technique that works better?

thanks much,

DES

May 18, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 3
I was watching the guys at headfest... it was a pretty physical ordeal as you describe. Grab firmly, twist and pull at the same time. But no one ripped them apart. I personally have never encountered a tip design that was this difficult to remove.

May 18, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by delenda est Sony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to be cynical, but I don't see the design point for Shure putting these barbs in; my old E2s had a sleeve come off maybe once in three years of usage. I hope Shure didn't chuck these barbs in to deliberately wear sleeves out more quickly...

There have been more than a few threads here at Head-Fi regarding sleeves (particularly the grey flex sleeves) slipping off the post and getting stuck in the ear. I have personally had this happen to me. I think that the barbs are a welcome improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back