NowEvolution APED
Aug 15, 2003 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PeterDLai

Headphoneus Supremus
NowEvolution APED!

Anyone plan on considering this player?

It's relatively cheap, but it looks bulky (not sure though, they don't give size specifications or comparisons).

It might be worth getting a Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen NX for that price, but still, it has an OLED screen (the future of displays). I wonder how good that looks.

And it seems like they have a dumb marketing strategy by only including a dock with the 20 GB version. I guess you have to buy the dock separately for $40! That would make the 30 GB version with the dock $340! The 20 GB version comes with the dock and is priced at $280. I'm not sure what they're thinking, but anyway.

I want to see the quality of OLED screens.

Aug 15, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 4
Evolution has been promising APED for a long time now and it's not really a competitive product at this point. OLED screen is interesting, but that doesn't make up for its bland styling or chunky size. Its been listed for pre-order at jandr.com for a little while now. The Nomad Zen NX 20gb is smaller, cheaper, and from a well-known company.

edit :

Looks like the APED is USB1.1 ... no mention of USB2.0 like you would expect, if they were to support it.

ohhhh .. and don' miss the "SDMI Ready" feature. lol
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.nowevolution.com/products/APED.pdf

Aug 16, 2003 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 4
Not that it'll help it, but actually it does support USB 2.0.

Quote:

A unique 20GB hard drive digital audio player / Built-in FM tuner / DuPont Olight display / Includes USB 2.0 cradle

Quote:

The 20GB APED ( Audio Personal Entertainment Device ) from NOW EVOLUTION is a unique Hard Drive based MP3 that looks great and sounds even better! Convert your favorite CD tracks to MP3 on your personal computer, then Drag and drop them to Download directly via USB 2.0 to the APED for enjoyment anywhere, anytime.

They need to give some size information.

Aug 16, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 4
About three to four months ago (I don't remember if it was a patent or company being aquired or what) but the rumor mill was flying pretty high about the next (early 2004) gen of iPods having a OLED screen. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back