Now what should I do!
Feb 19, 2005 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Frank M

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm stuck with another dilemma. My MP3-player is arriving soon and I'm about to buy some headphones, too, as my old ones all suddenly went wrong (broken cables and such).
The headphones will basically be used for two things:
1.) With the MP3-player either at home or while travelling to and from the university or other places
2.) Editing, recording music with my PC, and for practicing with my bass.

I mostly listen to and play jazz, rock, funk and metal and also listen to classical ocassionally.

After reading numerous reviews and threads, I was thinking about the Senn PX 100. It can also be had for ~€44-45 from the local dealer anytime

I also seem somehow just drawn to the AKG K 240S. I'm trying to find it on eBay. Should be much better-suited to option #2; for option #1, I have some earbuds around, even though I'm not a big fan of earbuds (my ears seem not really suited to earbuds... they keep falling out or they hurt). Can be had new for ~€120 through some dealers, eBay used price is around €70

While looking around on eBay, I've just seen a Beyer DT880... 1 day left, low price (as of now, €10,5). Hopefully, it will stay under €100. However, this would need a headphone amp, and I don't yet have one. I may get one in the future, though. As for portable, same as with the K 240.

Given these choices, what do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance:
Frank

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 10
I can't speak for the 240S, but I can suggest something I usually suggest to others: I would buy the high-end headphones, whatever you choose, and then buy a pair of cheap portables. MX500's and KSC-75's are the ideal choices (both under 20). They will offer adequate sound on the go and are both highly portable, especially the MX500. I love my Grados but there's no chance I could take them along with me to school!!

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks!

So 1 vote for the DT 880 so far.

There also is the Senn PX 10, that I'm considering instead buds. It's an in-ear headphone, and these worked OK for me so far. They are small enough and stay in my ears. They are nearly as cheap as the MX500.
Has anyone tried these? Should I avoid them?
As for Koss or Grado, unfortunately they are not available here... among many other things...
frown.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank M
Thanks!

So 1 vote for the DT 880 so far.

There also is the Senn PX 10, that I'm considering instead buds. It's an in-ear headphone, and these worked OK for me so far. They are small enough and stay in my ears. They are nearly as cheap as the MX500.
Has anyone tried these? Should I avoid them?
As for Koss or Grado, unfortunately they are not available here... among many other things...
frown.gif

I'm not necessarily voting for the DT880's either, as I've never heard them. I'm just making a financial and practical suggestion.

The PX10's are no good. Get the MX500's, and also there's the EX71SL's, which get mixed reviews around here.

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 10
The sony ex71 is actualyl very comfortable, I some times forget that they're even in my ear...well that's when I had them....I know own the shure e2cs and the MS-1....the shures aren't as comfortable, you never forget that they are there, but they dont hurt....the MS-1 I use at home...pretty Good headphones after break in.. They are $99 shipped anywhere.

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 10
Yet still, these canal-phones don't look too turst-awakening to me. My ear shape and size is not like the average, so thats why I'm not comfortable with even earbuds. But I'll think about it.

Feb 19, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank M
Yet still, these canal-phones don't look too turst-awakening to me. My ear shape and size is not like the average, so thats why I'm not comfortable with even earbuds. But I'll think about it.

I have trouble with fitting even MX400's in my ears since the openings are so small, but I can tell you that canalphones fit me fine.

Feb 19, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 10
alessandro ms-1's will fit the bill pretty well.

Feb 19, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tsplash75
alessandro ms-1's will fit the bill pretty well.

Unfortunately there are no dealers here.
Also, with shipping fees and customs fees and our standard 25% VAT, it's a bit more expensive and hard to get than the other options

Users who are viewing this thread

Back