Now THIS is DIY.
Jul 6, 2007 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

digitalmind

Headphoneus Supremus
I considered putting it in the DIY section, but since this isn't a project I'm part of and more of a showcase I'm placing it here.

How about making your own B&W Nautilus?

05.jpg

92.jpg

Plenty more here:

eek.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 25
Are those yours? If so, nice job! If not, nice find!

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are those yours? If so, nice job! If not, nice find!

Read, young hobbit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nope, not mine, nor do I have any part in it nor do I know the owner. Nor do I live in the same country. Would love to hear/see them though.

Sadly, these are all that I've mastered on the DIY speakers front.

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 25
I am not sure how much that guy spend on making those things, but I am pretty sure that it's cheaper than what they go for regularly. If they sound as good as well they surely did an amazing job.
eek.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome. Looks like a heck of a lot of fun. I wish it was in English, though, so I could read some of the captions...

Indeed looks like a lot of fun to build. He's using the original drivers of the Nautilus (anyone know which drivers they are?), so cheap it won't be.
Funnily enough, it doesn't even look all that hard to build. The fibreglass is tricky, but other than that it's fairly straightforward. Turning the top two cones requires big equipment though, but access to that is easy enough to get in schools. Timetaking it definitely is though, with all the sanding that comes with it.

I wonder how he's doing the crossover. Abviously he has seperate connectors for all the speakers, but is he tri-amping them? Where does he do the crossover?

If you have the time and access to either his schematics or the real Nautilus, it's not an impossible build.

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:00 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read, young hobbit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nope, not mine, nor do I have any part in it nor do I know the owner. Nor do I live in the same country. Would love to hear/see them though.

Sadly, these are all that I've mastered on the DIY speakers front.

My bad. Mis read the 1st sentence.

Here is a translation. Here

Not a bad translation either, they have gotten better over the years...

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

My bad. Mis read the 1st sentence.

Here is a translation. Here

Not a bad translation either, they have gotten better over the years...

Ah, thanks for the translation link. Pretty readable indeed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here are the measurements.
http://66.249.91.104/translate_c?hl=...ge_tools#89285

Looks like they go plenty deep but with a small dip in between the very low bass and midbass.

Scary:
matrixcaracolas9ts.jpg

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #9 of 25
This thread has seemingly given me the idea to put speakers in my room when my brother moves out... I'll leave that for another day though...

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #10 of 25
Pretty neat. I wonder if anyone could make your own headphone? Make a design , get drivers??? I dont even know, but that be awesome if us head-fiers could all come together and create a headphone...

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty neat. I wonder if anyone could make your own headphone? Make a design , get drivers??? I dont even know, but that be awesome if us head-fiers could all come together and create a headphone...

There is a member currently making headphones. Here is the thread. Here. Quite interesting, will be a joy to watch the proccess and see how they come out.

edit: I just realized I made over 40 posts today, and this is my 200th! Wow.

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

There is a member currently making headphones. Here is the thread. Here. Quite interesting, will be a joy to watch the proccess and see how they come out.

edit: I just realized I made over 40 posts today, and this is my 200th! Wow.

Very interesting thread, I like how he used clips on a picture frame to stretch mylar!

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #15 of 25
those look like seas exel drivers. not the same as the B&W made drivers in the original Nautilus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back