Now that Tower is gone, where do you buy your music?
Dec 28, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #17 of 26
The same place I've bought almost all my new music the past few years: Amazon. Their prices are usually pretty good and with the amazon prime service the free 2-day shipping is very nice when you order as often as I do.

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #19 of 26
Go indie, support local businesses.
I use Real Records and The Record Collector, both in Iowa City. At Real they usually can order whatever you want and have it in within a couple of days.

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #20 of 26
I bought enough CDs in the Tower GOOB sales that I could easily get through 2007 without buying any.

That said, I've still got my membership at yourmusic.com active (which is only 5.99/CD for a few more days, btw), and I've recently discovered Squidco...lots of hard to find improv/creative music, great prices, and free shipping!

As to Tower, I spent more time in their stores this last month than in the last 5 years combined, and it rekindled in me the joys of digging the bins. Online is great if you know what you want, but there's nothing like spending a few hours wading through a well-stocked shop and finding things you never knew existed.

As has been mentioned, Amoeba is the best in the Bay Area by a long shot...I'll definitely be visiting once I get through my current stack.

Dec 28, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought enough CDs in the Tower GOOB sales that I could easily get through 2007 without buying any.

That said, I've still got my membership at yourmusic.com active (which is only 5.99/CD for a few more days, btw), and I've recently discovered Squidco...lots of hard to find improv/creative music, great prices, and free shipping!

As to Tower, I spent more time in their stores this last month than in the last 5 years combined, and it rekindled in me the joys of digging the bins. Online is great if you know what you want, but there's nothing like spending a few hours wading through a well-stocked shop and finding things you never knew existed.

As has been mentioned, Amoeba is the best in the Bay Area by a long shot...I'll definitely be visiting once I get through my current stack.

I completely agree. It's things like that that make record stores so much better than online IMO.

Dec 28, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #22 of 26
I drove past Towers on my way to work every day and wanted to stop and see what was left, but never did. I stopped by today to find they have closed for good.
frown.gif
I should have done it a few days ago.

Peaches was another store that got a lot of my money before the Internet changed everything.

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Downtown Music Gallery

It's one of my favorite places in NYC. I've only bought one CD from Tower in my life... and it was in London. They had a terrible selection and awful prices every time I was there. Yes, at one point Tower was a culturally important location for music, but that time past long before I was even born.

just looked; they say they've got Horace Tapscott and Clusone. I guess I know where I'll be this weekend. I do remember being in one of the Towers (downtown, 2 or 3 floors, Lots of European label jazz), and finding stuff I'd only read about. oh well.

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amoeba, which was better than Tower anyway, and Amazon.com.

Guys, Amoeba is great, but does not exist outside of California.....

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #25 of 26
Wow. Good to see that there are some states that have some stores where you can physically buy CDs. There is nowhere good left to go to buy CDs in Georgia anymore aside from places like Best Buy (so-so selection) and Borders (way overpriced, but some gems to be found). Granted you have a much better selection and prices online, but nothing beats going to a store, finding something you wern't looking for but really wanted, popping the CD in your car stereo, and listening to it on your way home. I used to use the internet as a last resort, but now it has become my primary way of obtaining CDs. To the OP, I feel you pain. I like in Kennesaw, and it took me about 35-40 min to get to Tower (gotta love Atlanta traffic), which I made monthly trips, and would leave with 4-5 CDs, an empty wallet, and a big grin on my face because I found some treasure that I wouldn't have found at Best Buy and would never think of looking for on Amazon.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get that off my chest.

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #26 of 26
I listen almost exclusively to classical, so ArkivMusic online, and the SF Virgin Megastore offline.

I bookmark my CD/SACD wishlist on Amazon, but make a point of not actually buying there because their prices are almost always exactly list (just like Borders and B&N raised most of their prices to full list once they drove the small independent bookstores out of business with 30% off discounts). Maybe that's because I have the Prime free 2-day shipping option and they figure I am a captive customer.

I'll miss the Fisherman's Wharf Tower Classical Annex, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back