now that ive had my hd595's for around a month
Oct 30, 2006 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

taran

100+ Head-Fier
well i have mixed views really.

they are great and i was suprised at how headphones of this size could sound. they are the first set that i have ever heard in this range.

they seem to fulfill my needs for now, until i hear other over the ear headphones that beat the 595's i wont be biting to upgrade.

what i would be interested in is seeing how these would sound amped. atm i dont see myself spending alot on a amp, im in the uk and all seem expensive.

i think i might need to head to a uk meet to test out some amps.

anyway what i wanted to know is, when i listen to some songs, i like to crank it up. when i do this, i get a lil vibration feeling like the 595's are vibrating from producing the bass frequencies. i did not know headphones could do that so i was plesently suprised.

the question is, would i be doing any damage to them. i dont hear any distortion so im guessing the headphones can handle it with some to spare.

its just ive never come accross this so i would be interested to know.

thanks

Oct 30, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 12
Don't worry, the HD595's drivers can handle 500 mW of power, which at 100 dB/mW efficiency would result in a truly-eardrum-perforating
tongue.gif
volume. I'd worry for my ears much before that threshold.

Btw, enjoy! If you want to try an inexpensive amp, you should try the Xenos 0HA-REP... Or if you wanna do even better, the upcoming (shortly) 1HA-EPT or 1HA-EPC (depending on your wallet)...

Oct 30, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by taran
anyway what i wanted to know is, when i listen to some songs, i like to crank it up. when i do this, i get a lil vibration feeling like the 595's are vibrating from producing the bass frequencies. i did not know headphones could do that so i was plesently suprised.

Well if you do destroy them they are relatively cheap to replace.

To be clear, I mean compared to a new set of ears

Be sensible with the volume. Hearing loss will more than cancel out your sensation of being 'pleasantly surprised'

Oct 30, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 12
My 595s seem to have pretty rock solid bass coming from an amp. That vibration feeling could be some clipping coming from your source....so I'm sure an amp would clean that up. The build of these cans are really good, so I can't see how anything could be rattling around in there. For me, I also find the 595s just keep sounding better the more you work on your source setup. They open up with an amp.

Oct 30, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 12
i'll be receiving my corda aria that i'll use with my pc setup later this week (hopefully =]). when i first got my 595's, i wasn't all too surprised when i listened to them as all they did compared to my previous headphones was allow me to crank up the volume higher before distrotion took place (well, there was no distortion in the 595's). so at first, all the 595's provided me with was volume. now that i've had them a bit over a month, the bass has really opened up. i burned them in for at least 100+ hours prior and never really noticed a difference until my most recent 20 hour burn in spree (yea, i wasn't able to do 200 hours straight, i just did 10-20 hours at a time).

now they sound great. i never really did an a/b comparision with my old headphones until last week. i think my sensitivity to detail is rather low and don't really pick up on the subtle changes, nor do i hear much difference in sound quality, but all of this might be due to my source (crappy Audigy 2 LS
rolleyes.gif
). i'm not sure if i'm gonna bother getting a new soundcard as of right now, but i guess i'll figure that out after i receive my corda aria.

and hopefully, i can tell you if a cmoy amp will make much of a difference as my parts are coming in today or tomorrow. well, that is if i can build it successfully or not.
lambda.gif

Oct 30, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 12
its not that i play music loudly i dont think.

i use a cowon iaudio m3 as a source and streight out of the headphone jack, the 595's sound a lil laid back. i mean its good when you just want to relax but when i dont which is most of the time, i turn on BBE and use my custom EQ which has had a few notches of dB added to the high and low frequancies. it seems to bring the sound more forward.

but yea at times i feel as though the bass frequencies shake the padding which i can feel around my ears.

im not complaining at all, just wondered if thats normal to other people or have i just over EQ'd or maby listening too loud a volume level.

Oct 30, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 12
Sounds like it's probably your sound card. For mp3s, currently, I have my HP amp plugged into my laptop. There's lots of distortion and clipping that happen with the bass heavy stuff. When I listen to CDs with my stereo rig, there's a big difference. The aria has a DAC in it right? It should be pretty sweet! You wouldn't need a good soundcard. I've got a MicroAmp that really sounds good plugged into my CD player.....thinking of getting the MicroDAC for laptop use....

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 12
Currently, I am using a set of 595s in conjunction with an old Klipsch Pc sub out of my X-Fi via a y-adapter. PLENTY o' BASS for the ratatatat of FPS guns and BOOMING explosions. lol I just use the sub, no speakers. most impactful headphones ever ftw.

Oct 30, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 12
HD595's bass goes very deep so you will hear a slight vibration, if you don't hear any distortion then it's fine.

Oct 30, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 12
i have to say some of these comments aint even readin the OP. i didnt say anything about running them out of a soundcard.

cowon iaudio m3, for those of you who dont know is an HDD mp3 player.

im not really saying im trying to produce the bass to be like that, well actually i kinda am trying to give the 595's a lil more kick than they have but thats probably becasue i havent got an amp.

the last post is kinda what i mean. the thing is i dont hear the vibration. i feel the vibration like channeling through the pads and onto my skin. not alot, just like a lil tingle kinda feeling.

too be honest i dont even know if it sounds distorted. im pretty sure i cannot hear anything. these 595's are just too clear. but then again how would i know distortion. apart from a pair of sony mdr e888lp buds and shure e4's which you cant put loud anyway because they are in ur ear, the 595's are my in this field.

what i really need to do is go to a uk meet. i know theres one in scotland but too far.

people in uk reading this, sort one out in london or midlands!

Oct 30, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 12
well soundcards and mp3 players are similar in that they usually don't sound good
tongue.gif
Though at least with a soundcard, it's generally easier to bypass to a DAC. And yes, the 595s sound better with an amp.....clipping occurs with underpowered soundcards or mp3 players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back