Now That I have the Earphones, Which iPod-like player produces the best sound? Please Help...
Feb 24, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #31 of 41
Are you set on using with a screen that could be used for videos? Now I havent read the entire thread so I apologize if this has been answered but you could get something that is pretty much just for audio and that could be cheaper and not be a bad choice. I'm mostly talking about the cowon D2+ which is not too expensive at 150 or so for 16gb with sdhc slot which could bring it to 32gb or 48gb whichever is necessary and is pretty affordable at that size.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #32 of 41
Monster® Turbine™ Pro Copper Professional In-Ear Speakers™

Are those the headphones you have? If so, I'd worry about taking those back and getting a full refund before deciding on a player. Monster Cable and Bose are pretty much the two brands you want to stay away from at all costs.

I wouldn't write off the 8GB iPod touch either. Unlike other "DAPs" it is a lot more than just that. It's more of a pocket Mac that plays music very well too. To put it short, the iPod touch is far more capable than any other portable audio player out there. The 8GB model does short you on capacity, but its still a fully featured and fully capable iPod touch. You'll get more out of it than you will a 160GB iPod classic or cheaper flash players.

As much as those Monster earphones cost, you could get a full refund, end up with a much better set for probably 1/3 the cost, and with the money you save, return the 8GB iPod touch and get a 64GB iPod touch.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #33 of 41
^

Is that really necessary and have you tried them? That just sounds like a bunch of name brand bashing to me. There are a bunch of people who have tried them in the portable headphone forum and like them. Let the OP enjoy his earphones.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #34 of 41
rawrster,

I really would like a player with at least photo capability (iPod Classic would work even), but I would like at least 32gb I think as I have a pretty large photography portfolio that I would like to have with me always.

MoSXS,

What has been your experience with the Monster Turbine Pro Copper? Because if you haven't heard them, I have to say then that you are probably sorely mistaken. I'm no expert, but I know good sound. And for the $249 (shipped) I bought the Coppers for, I don't feel like I've been taken to the cleaners by any means. It's the most impressive sound I've heard apart from very, high-end speakers from local shops.

Also, the touch is not the player to turn to for top-notch sound quality. That would be the Nationite S:Flo2 with the line-out and the excellent DACs from the unit itself.

Also, I am writing off the 8gb iPod Touch as you either haven't been listening to what I've been posting, or you're ignoring the fact that 8gb is too small or me. My camera's memory card is bigger at 16gb, so 8gb is just ridiculous unless you're running 128 bitrates with no pictures and like two apps (little stretched, but you should get my point). I want to run the highest quality I can find the songs at or what I already have which is WMP lossless which I will convert to FLAC/ALAC.

So, let me know what earphones sounds better at $83? And, I will still have the problem of finding the player... wait, I'm getting the S:Flo2, that's right... :wink:

See my other thread here... concerning the Monster TPC.

Forgive my sarcastic tone, but next time before telling someone to take something back that they've fully researched, consider many things first, such as:

1. How much research they put into finding the product.
2. Their needs.
3. Other outside research and professional/user opinions of the product.
4. Leaving fanboy-bias at the door (I assure you Monster Turbines are better than Bose).
5. And being so narrow-minded in your suggestions.

No offense,
-RC

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #35 of 41
photo capability..that depends on how large a screen you want.

the players that i have used that also fit the 32gb is the cowon d2+. it has a small screen but is a touch screen. pics can go on it and technically video but i never bothered with that since i might as well go blind from looking at that screen on a video. max internal memory is 16gb with up to 32gb in sdhc. battery life is good (i bought mine used so battery wasnt as good but was getting in the 20-30 range). I liked the sound quality from them with the exception of the bass rolloff but it isnt that noticeable I guess. IMO its really hard to beat the cowon if you want a flash based player and decent storage. The original firmware is a bit awkward to navigate but I got mine flash skinned to improve the navigation and it was much better.

You could also get the sansa fuze but with one big thing to note. 32gb microsdhc are not out yet so it only goes to 16gb as of now. So the max for a sansa fuze is 8gb internal +16gb but 32gb cards will eventually be released so if you want to wait for that to come out.

I can't recommend (or bash) the s:flo2 simply because I do not have it and have zero intention of getting it. I was interested in it but the second I found out that it did not work under linux I quickly forgot about it.

It really depends on what is important to you. battery life, codecs used(mp3, flac,ogg, etc), screen size, touch (or buttons), etc. I don't have much experience with anything not in my profile. Cowon d2+, sansa fuze and ipod 5.5G are the ones I have the most experience with.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't recommend (or bash) the s:flo2 simply because I do not have it and have zero intention of getting it. I was interested in it but the second I found out that it did not work under linux I quickly forgot about it.

The s:flo2 doesn't work under linux???? I thought it mounts like a mass storage drive. I would think that is the safest bet for linux compatibility. That makes me worried about the Mac OS X support. There is no way I will return to windows for a DAP.

So does anyone know anything about the Mac support for the s:flo2?

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #37 of 41
well I originally thought the same until I read the review that was posted in the mp4 nation's forums that said it didnt work very well under linux unless you wanted to charge it. There's a link to it in the review by clieos.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #38 of 41
Cowon S9 is my thought. Cowon players sound great and have powerful amps that can help properly drive headphones.

If you have a kidney for sale, then I would suggest the HiFiMan. I have it and it is the best sounding portable player out there IMHO.

It might be a good idea to bring your headphones to an electronics store and test drive the players with your phones. That would really be the best way to find your player.

Just my 2 cents.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #39 of 41
I actually went to an Apple store and tried the 7th gen iPod Classic vs the 3rd gen iPod Touch and the latter was near horrible. It was very murkey through the range of sound and it wasn't dynamic at all...

Too bad no one sells the S:Flo2 locally... or the Cowon for that matter.

-RC

P.S. The Cowon UI sounds terrible from what I've heard. What are your thoughts rxxdoc?

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

What has been your experience with the Monster Turbine Pro Copper? Because if you haven't heard them, I have to say then that you are probably sorely mistaken. I'm no expert, but I know good sound. And for the $249 (shipped) I bought the Coppers for, I don't feel like I've been taken to the cleaners by any means. It's the most impressive sound I've heard apart from very, high-end speakers from local shops.

"Local" stores don't exactly sell high end speakers. They sell speakers that are designed to sound good to the masses, with heavy boomy bass and shrill highs.

As far as Monster products go, one only needs to read this Audiophile Deathmatch: Monster Cables vs. a Coat Hanger - Audio - Gizmodo to see the quality of their products. Monster products at any price are ripoffs.

Quote:

Also, the touch is not the player to turn to for top-notch sound quality. That would be the Nationite S:Flo2 with the line-out and the excellent DACs from the unit itself.

Says who? The iPod touch is pretty well regarded around here.

Quote:

Also, I am writing off the 8gb iPod Touch as you either haven't been listening to what I've been posting, or you're ignoring the fact that 8gb is too small or me. My camera's memory card is bigger at 16gb, so 8gb is just ridiculous unless you're running 128 bitrates with no pictures and like two apps (little stretched, but you should get my point). I want to run the highest quality I can find the songs at or what I already have which is WMP lossless which I will convert to FLAC/ALAC.

If you're using WMA Lossless, that means you're ripping with Windows Media Player. That means that you really don't care about quality as much as you claim you do. And if you're using headphones built by a company that charges premium prices for speaker wire that doesn't sound any better than coat hangers, you're not going to hear the difference between 128Kbps and lossless audio to begin with.

Many double blind listening tests over at hydrogen audio show that there truly is no audible difference in most situations between modern lossy codecs and lossless anyway.

I use XLD in Snow Leopard, which uses Core Audio to encode true VBR AAC files at "127" quality, which produces AAC files with an average bitrate of 320Kbps. I can't hear the difference on my headphones that are made by companies actually known for audio quality, like Audio Technica and Grado.

I have a 16GB iPod touch. Thats enough for 557 songs at said audio quality, a movie, 4 43 minute TV shows, quite a few large games, several hundred pictures, all while still having more than 1GB free.

Quote:

So, let me know what earphones sounds better at $83? And, I will still have the problem of finding the player... wait, I'm getting the S:Flo2, that's right... :wink:

Theres plenty of IEMs in that price range that sound better. And considering these are a Monster product, I would bet good money that Apple's IEMs sound better and cost less.

Quote:

Forgive my sarcastic tone, but next time before telling someone to take something back that they've fully researched, consider many things first, such as:

Did that person fully research the fact that Monster products have been equaled by coat hangers?

Quote:

4. Leaving fanboy-bias at the door (I assure you Monster Turbines are better than Bose).

I wouldn't go that far. Even Bose doesn't mark products up as bad as Monster does. And Bose has never had one of their overpriced products equaled by coat hangers.

Bose products might be overpriced, but they don't charge $100 for something that should only cost $2, like Monster HDMI cables.

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #41 of 41
MoSXS,

First of all, what I meant by "local stores" was not Wal-Mart, Best Buy or RadioShack. Forgive me for not being more clear but what I meant are the brands offered at these two "local" places near me which I have auditioned many speakers at... such speakers as Paradigm, Definitive, B&W, Dynaudio, Focal, Thiel, Martin Logan, Rel, NHT and Velodyne. These are the brands that I am putting Monster up with...

I'm not sure why you keep referencing Monster's cables. I bought their earphones, and one of their top-end earphones. Like I said, I know what good sound is and these produce it in spades. I just heard my friend's Bose earphones and the bass was overwhelming (and inaccurate), the mids were muffled and the treble was almost non-existant. If I paid for those, I'd be pissed and they'd be returned before my next thought entered my mind.

And don't tell me you don't have bias because all you're basing your point on is the fact they overprice their cables. I know this. I agree with you. I worked at Best Buy where I witnessed this first hand and I even bought a $150 HDMI cable for $50 which I thought was a good idea and it actually wasn't... the latter price was STILL too expensive.

In comparison though, their earphones are amazing. If you want me to buy the S4 or EM0 or Triple Fi or ER-6P or something else that I can compare and therefore justify my purchase to you, I guess I can, but that would be a waste of time since I have an boatload of people on here that have already backed my purchase up.

You must have turned the blind-eye toward all the audiophile and peer reviews because you sure are ignoring the fact that these are great earphones.

Also, I went to the Apple store and compared side-by-side the Touch and Classic and the Touch sounded murky. I will probably get a Classic as I have made the switch to iTunes and the 320Kbps. This is great as I have cleared up about 40GB of space... good side-effect. But, everything syncs with iPod and I was satisfied with the quality of the Classic. The S:Flo2 doesn't have enough space and there are too many things I have to do to get it in great operating order (new UI, more memory, etc...).

But, I didn't know of the Windows Media Player ripping. Thanks for the tip.

-RC

P.S. You never addressed actually getting a pair and trying them out. Maybe you should do this and you can find out first hand what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back