Now that I have money to spend...
Aug 13, 2016 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Alligator

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones.  I currently own a pair of ATH-M50s, and they sound wonderful.  I have the cash and want to upgrade.  For example, I recently tried B&O H8s.  Although they were wireless, they left me underwhelmed in terms of sound quality.  A little lacking in the midrange.  I've tried Beats, and like most opinions, I was not impressed with those either.  However, I am one that does like some deep bass, but I want it balanced.

What's a really nice step up?  Sennheiser HD800s?  They seem quite dated.  Should I go open backed instead of closed?  Are any of the wireless pairs worth checking out given the Bluetooth limitations (if not just for portability)?

Ideally, I'd like to have one really, really good pair of headphones that I use for everything and keep for quite a while.  Long term, I'd like to get an amp with tubes, just to hear the sound and play around a little.  My source is everything from my lossless collection, vinyl, Tidal, and vintage Walkmans, so if I can play it, I will.

I also have a Sony PHA-2 amp, if that matters.  I'd consider upgrading that too if necessary.

Thanks!

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 5
  I'm looking for a new pair of headphones.  I currently own a pair of ATH-M50s, and they sound wonderful.  I have the cash and want to upgrade.  For example, I recently tried B&O H8s.  Although they were wireless, they left me underwhelmed in terms of sound quality.  A little lacking in the midrange.  I've tried Beats, and like most opinions, I was not impressed with those either.  However, I am one that does like some deep bass, but I want it balanced.

What's a really nice step up?  Sennheiser HD800s?  They seem quite dated.  Should I go open backed instead of closed?  Are any of the wireless pairs worth checking out given the Bluetooth limitations (if not just for portability)?

Ideally, I'd like to have one really, really good pair of headphones that I use for everything and keep for quite a while.  Long term, I'd like to get an amp with tubes, just to hear the sound and play around a little.  My source is everything from my lossless collection, vinyl, Tidal, and vintage Walkmans, so if I can play it, I will.

I also have a Sony PHA-2 amp, if that matters.  I'd consider upgrading that too if necessary.

If you want relatively balanced but has deep bass it's probably best to go with the LCD-2. The response on that is almost flat from 1000hz down to 10hz ( the HD800 like most other dynamic headphones have an upper bass hump and then rolls off below the loudness of 1000hz before it gets to 20hz), and above 1000hz it doesn't take a nose dive then rising up to a short treble peak unlike the HE400. That said however the response below 1000hz is all stronger than all frequencies above it, so overall your perception might be that the response might seem skewed in favor of bass.

Aug 14, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 5
I prefer my HE-500s to my LCD 2.2s,but them 500s need some serious umph to drive

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 5
  I considered Audeze, but I've heard bad things about the weight.

If you're just listening with no distractions (which is how you get to appreciate a really good system to begin with), and your listening chair has a high enough back, then just sit back. As long as your head is resting on the headrest then the weight is off your neck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back