Now that I have had my SR60i for a month...
Aug 14, 2009 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Palpatine

1000+ Head-Fier
I love my SR60i especially since it is portable and sounds great. I am looking to get another member of the Grado family. I love my Senn HD600 especially for choral, orchestral, and other classical types of music. They are my audiophile cans for this type of music. I would like to get a Grado since they tend to do well with rock. The bass with the SR60i is decent, but I imagine I could find a higher series Grado that is a lot more fun for this type of music. I was thinking of the RS2i, and use it amped and unamped.
I do want an open high end can for rock with clean emphasized but not bloated bass, so please don't suggest a Denon D2000 or other closed can.

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #3 of 6
Alessandro MS-1. They are a refined version of the SR125, but refined to smooth them a bit without removing the Grado fun sound. Some people put them up against phones far up the Grado line.

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alessandro MS-1. They are a refined version of the SR125, but refined to smooth them a bit without removing the Grado fun sound. Some people put them up against phones far up the Grado line.

you wouldnt catch me wearing the fug unless i listened on a closet, as far as grados, i have had a good deal of them in house, lived with the rs 2 for a couple of years, so save your money, and just go for the rs1i's, they say a 5-10% improvement? but with a sound amp/dac it is far more than that, they are an amayzing set of cans. you will hear alot of bashing going on here at this site, but i think more than anythng it is product loyality, especially from denon heads, but to me the rs1i's are truth.

Aug 14, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 6
u could also try the tape mod for the grados. search around the forum for that. it does increase the bass a bit but u do lose some in other departments.

Aug 14, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #6 of 6
I also just got the SR60i's (previous owned the iGrados and very much missed the Grado sound) and HD600's (good all-rounder). Amplified, the difference between the two becomes very narrow, the HD600's have an edge but the Grados just do something magical for certain albums. Radiohead's In Rainbows comes to mind, as well as Santana and MTV Unplugged tracks.

I heard the open Audio-Technica's have a similar sound signature to Grados? I don't know anything about the bass, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back