now that I am getting an iRiver 899... (cheap, tiny, low-med qual external speaker??)
Jun 20, 2005 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pianoplayer88key

100+ Head-Fier
it doesn't have a built-in speaker (something I am willing to deal with).

Is there a small speaker I can get (or I'd be willing to make one with parts if there otherwise isn't anything available)? The ipod speaker is too big and expensive, and I'm not necessarily looking for stadium-shaking sound or audiophile-quality sound.

Basically, I'd like (I think):

something very cheap (if I can keep the parts / speaker cost under $10 or $15 that'd be nice)
very small - I'd like to be able to fit my Motorola V188 cell phone, iRiver IFP-799, a few memory cards (for something else I have), a few AA and AAA batteries, and this portable speaker in my pocket simultaneously. (I almost mentioned putting my Canon PowerShot S1 IS in there too, but that will go in another pocket, where it barely fits (and leaves a little room for a few batteries and a couple memory cards.))
sound quality isn't very important, but I would at LEAST like it as good as the built-in ultra-cheap speaker in my RipFlash Plus.
I DO want it louder than the RF+ by quite a bit. I'm willing to power it with a AAA battery or two or a single AA battery if necessary (prefer at least 8 to 10 hours battery life per charge using 1800mAh batteries (I haven't gotten around to getting 25's yet.))

Is there ANYTHING out there that approximately fits that description? Basically very tiny to fit in my pocket with other stuff simultaneously, under $15, sound quality not super important but don't want crap (for the price), want a decent output level for something of this caliber.

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
there should be a few at audiocubes.com. never used any portable speakers.

I couldn't find anything there.

I'm basically looking for something small.

One option I have is the Macally Podwave, plus a right-angle adapter from Radio Shack.

However, it seems to be a bit pricey. I wonder if I'll need to get a cheap pair of headphones, take the drivers out, and make my own enclosure? (I do have a few non-working (broken cord) headphones - maybe I could get the drivers out of one of those.) I don't want anything bigger than the podwave. (I'd really like to keep it down to about the size of the iRiver or a bit bigger.)

Or, any other suggestions?

Jun 22, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmmcheese
Maybe you could get some cheap headphones and just play them loudly?

I'd actually like the "speaker" directly physically and rigidly attached to the player. Its purpose would be to act as a built-in speaker (since the iRiver doesn't have one, but the Pogo RipFlash Plus I'm upgrading from does have one).

Jun 22, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 10
Something like the Coby CS-P14 should do the trick. It's cheap, cheap, cheap...around $5.

90105742.jpg

tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1
Something like the Coby CS-P14 should do the trick. It's cheap, cheap, cheap...around $5.

90105742.jpg

tongue.gif

I saw that one (or something like it), and it looks a bit large, like more like desktop speakers. This is something that, including the iriver, is going in my pocket. I'm willing to spend $20 or so, and I don't need very high quality. I just want a reasonable output level and low distortion considering the size of the drivers, and a not-too-abysmal frequency response. (I want to be able to hear the lowest notes on a piano even if they're somewhat subdued (I can hear them on the built-in speaker on my RF+, but the frequency response majorly favors the treble.)) (for size, my Canon S1 IS can go in my pocket, but it's a bit bulgy. I would like to put the iRiver, RipFlash Plus, my Motorola V188 cell phone, this speaker, 6 AA batteries, 2 AAA batteries, 4 CF cards, my keys, comb, wristwatch (the band is broken), and this speaker in my pocket (Levi's 560 34,32) at the same time. (I'd put the Canon PowerShot S1 IS and another 4 AA batteries in the other pocket).

Jun 23, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianoplayer88key
I would like to put the iRiver, RipFlash Plus, my Motorola V188 cell phone, this speaker, 6 AA batteries, 2 AAA batteries, 4 CF cards, my keys, comb, wristwatch (the band is broken), and this speaker in my pocket (Levi's 560 34,32) at the same time. (I'd put the Canon PowerShot S1 IS and another 4 AA batteries in the other pocket).

Are you sure you don't need a man bag?

tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back