Now moving onto full size portable, would like suggestions please!
Mar 3, 2010 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JiNuWiNe

Head-Fier
I got my stationary setup covered with the SR60, now I'm looking for something on-the-go. I listen to a lot of vocal trance / electro / house /hip hop and I find the SR60 lacks performance for those genres. What's important for my selection:
  1. Sound (Rich bass, clear vocals and great sound stage)
  2. Price (Best bang for buck staying under $100)
  3. Apparence (Good looks, stylish)
  4. Comfort (Prefer full size Circumaural cans but I guess it doesn't matter as long as it's comfortable)
  5. Build (Something that can be tossed around, not that I'm planning to)
  6. Amp-free, running from Cowon D2+.

Narrowed it down to 3 now: [not in order of preference]

Denon D1001 (I would like to try Denon sound, and the design is a plus)

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (Read awesome reviews and reasonable priced)

Beyerdynamic DT 235 (would like to hear comments on these)

AKG K 81 DJ (Great reviews as well and wouldn't mind trying AKG sound)

I would like to hear some of your suggestions please! Thanks.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 16
K81dj fills a number of your requirements not all:

-On ear, not over the ear (and has a pretty nasty clamp)
-good bass, but soundstage is lacking somewhat
-it can run ampless, but its way better with an amp.

Otherwise it should fill all of your other criteria

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 16
I've heard the new WS70 from Audio Technica is better than the ES7 pretty much all around. It is a little bit over $100 and I don't know if the style is to your liking, but it may be worth looking into.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 16
Unless you have extremely large ears, the D1001 is circumaural. They fit completely over my semi-largish ears. They don't have much a soundstage though. However, that is the case for most, if not all, portable closed cans.

HD280s are many things, but they are not known for their comfort, at all. They are the hardest clamping headphone I've ever worn. Sure, you can loosen it a bit, but then the isolation goes away, which is their main strength to begin with.

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 16
I've heard good things about the Denon D1000 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50. I own a pair of HD280's and use them as portables they're decent not too much of a bass but not bad. They are not very comfortable though. I can't tell you a whole lot about the others on your list though.

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 16
I own the M50's and the AKG's, but have never heard the Denon's. I like the M50's the best. Nice strong bass for what you listen to, and doesn't sound as muffled as the K81's. I also like the way they look better, but that's all personal taste.

Mar 6, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 16
Ive heard the K518 (mine) the M50 (owned by a friend) and the WS70 (another friend)

they're all good but it gets better when it gets bigger
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #15 of 16
I'm pretty much just debating between the D1001 and M50. Which is better for vocal trance / electro hip-hop / house ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back