Now It's Mozilla and Firefox
Jul 9, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 16
Thanks for the heads-up. I just got the latest release to fix the problem.

Jul 10, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 16
Well at least it didn't take 6 months to get the hole fixed *coughmicrosoftcough*.

Jul 10, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 16
Mozilla is set at defult to go to the Mozilla website, and it had the warning.

Unlike IE this was a rare instance and it was solved quickly so i had no worries at all.
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
The problem was immediately identified and fixed. Move on...

For now, and Mozilla seems to fix these problems a lot faster than MS. However, a lot of people viewed Firefox as the "savior" regarding browser security issues though this may very well be a continued problem for those folks running it on a Windows machine. We'll see.

A happy Firefox convert running XP

Jul 11, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman
For now, and Mozilla seems to fix these problems a lot faster than MS. However, a lot of people viewed Firefox as the "savior" regarding browser security issues though this may very well be a continued problem for those folks running it on a Windows machine. We'll see.

A happy Firefox convert running XP

Firefox may indeed prove to be more secure over time than IE, but people are kidding themselves if they think it'll never have security holes (that goes for any software project).

Jul 12, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 16
Ok, I'm not a computer guy. I really don't understand this stuff. What is Mozilla and Firefox? Are they browsers, and if so, are they different from IE, and Netscape?

Sorry for being such a dumb-ass, but I just don't get it!

confused.gif

Jul 13, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 16
A quick history of web browsers:

In the early 90's there was a browser called NCSA Mosaic which is very basic by todays standards but was the first fully functional graphical web browser. It was very popular until a company called Netscape came along and created the Netscape browser which, by version 2.0, had taken nearly all the marketshare. Around the mid 90's a company called Microsoft decided it wanted to get into the browser industry as well and introduced Internet Explorer, which was nothing more than a hack job on Mosaic (and is to this day). By the late 90's MS decided it didn't have enough of the market share and "innovated" by integrating IE into the Windows interface and that quickly caused Netscape to loose all it's market share to MS. Netscape decided to start an open-source project, named Mozilla (after their mascot), to improve the Netscape engine. Right before the release of Netscape 5.0, the Mozilla project decided the original Netscape engine was at it's limits and couldn't be improved upon any further and scrapped the whole thing (and Netscape 5) and wrote a completely new engine called Gecko which would power the open source browser Mozilla and the proprietary browser Netscape. The Mozilla project eventually got to version 0.9 of the Mozilla and Netscape 6 was released and then it hit 1.0 and Netscape 7 was released. Around Mozilla 1.2 people started becoming concerned about the bloat of Mozilla and started a new project, Firefox to write a lighter, faster web browser based on Gecko.

Jul 14, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 16
Jul 14, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman
More news from the MS IE front. Amazing! With the resources that MS has at their disposal, they still can't fix these problems in a timely fashion.
rolleyes.gif

It's not a lack of resources that's the problem. It's a lack of interest in fixing these holes. MS can certainly afford to throw as many programmers at the problem as necessary, but they choose not to. I'm not sure why.

Jul 14, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by k.ODOMA
It's not a lack of resources that's the problem. It's a lack of interest in fixing these holes. MS can certainly afford to throw as many programmers at the problem as necessary, but they choose not to. I'm not sure why.

until microsoft's market share drops significantly, they've got no motivation to be competitive. Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that IE has it's hooks so far in the OS that I still have to run it occasionally, in spite of a serious preference for FireFox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back