Apr 28, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #166 of 218
Easiest way to tell the caps apart is to count them
smily_headphones1.gif

100nF in multiples of 4
33pF in multiples of 2
10nF in multiples of 1

g

Apr 28, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #167 of 218
Do i need to point out I already assembled the board, it doesn't take a genious to count caps.

Although on ur website the count says 5 100n caps were needed, but I only got 8 with my order of 2 boards. That took a bit of extra thinking
rolleyes.gif

Apr 28, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #168 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
Do i need to point out I already assembled the board, it doesn't take a genious to count caps.

Although on ur website the count says 5 100n caps were needed, but I only got 8 with my order of 2 boards. That took a bit of extra thinking
rolleyes.gif

I know, I was just passing on the knowledge
smily_headphones1.gif
There were 5 SMDs needed originally, but I changed one of them for a box type cap in the coax conversion stage

g

Apr 29, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #171 of 218
My bad i thought Gus ran it.

The 2902 is available from Digikey as well, or directly as a sample from texas instruments if you qualify.

Apr 29, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #172 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
The 2902 is available from Digikey as well, or directly as a sample from texas instruments if you qualify.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phobus
They won't have them in stock until 5/31

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

May 3, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #174 of 218
Quote:

Sorry to be such a feeb but where exactly do the spdif leads attach?

Check out http://www.ecp.cc/usb-spdif.html

my guess is that they would connect to the out connectors. (not being sarcastic. it's just that I don't have the schematic. And that seems the likely place)

May 4, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #176 of 218
Sorry i meant Mouser but that would have been a load of crock too. Just disregard my rambelings.

May 5, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #177 of 218
I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet ...

The suggested USB jack included in the original parts list (DigiKey part WM17109-ND) does not fit the board ... or rather, it fits the board but extends back and touches the pins of the voltage regulator and 3 resistors. As you might imagine, this is not good. It is possible to lean it forward to avoid this, but it has been replaced on the pats list by a part (AE1085-ND) that fits better. Here is the technical drawing if you want to convince yourself that this part is the better choice.

-d

May 5, 2005 at 12:13 PM Post #178 of 218
well my order from mouser was only just released today, but a quick show of hands will probably indicate that not many people have finished it yet
rolleyes.gif

May 5, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #179 of 218
A couple more things ...

The parts list suggested using 2 22uF caps while the board says to use 10uF caps. If you already have the 22uF caps, they should not cause a problem, but they have been replaced on the parts list with 10uF panasonic FC's.

If you are using tantalum 1uF caps instead of the Wimas, please note that the tantalum caps are polarized. To figure out how to install them, each position has one leg toward the 2902, and another to the ground plane. Connect the positive (+) leg of the cap toward the chip and the negative (unmarked) to the ground plane.

I built one and plugged it into the computer. No errors, no smoke, etc. I didn't hook it up to a DAC yet to see if there is a signal as I am waiting on some wire to do this with.

May 5, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #180 of 218
Hi all, just to clarify ds' post above

The tantalum +ve side goes to the side from which the traces come from the 2902 (not a via), and obviously the negative side goes to the other pad (which is a via, and is cross-hatched underneath)

g

PS, anyone working yet??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back