Now at Qables: New Sugden Masterclass HA4 Headphone amplifier.
Jun 1, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #16 of 18
Your photoshop guy could stand some improvement - lovely amp though!  I'm sure it will sell well :) 

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #17 of 18
Hi,

I'm new to this site but have read this thread and found it of great interest.

I have just ordered a Sugden HA4 and am very keen to know how it will sound against the older Headmaster
which I currently use.  The guy at Audio Affair said "seriously, it's much better than the headmaster" but then he
would, wouldn't he!
My question is, have I needlessly spent an extra £1.3k on a headphone amp that may (or may not) show very marginal
gains on the older (and IMO, better looking) Headmaster?

This mad spending spree all came about a few weeks ago when I bought a new CD player.  For 20 years I've been
listening to a Rotel 965BX with a decent clock upgrade.  I felt no desire to upgrade this, however several years ago
I did purchase a Headmaster (bargain at £400!!) and a set of HD650's.  For many years I was in headphone heaven (or
so I thought) until recently I decided to give a valve CD player an audition.

It was the Opera Audio droplet (CDP5.0).  Ok, so bit of an unfair advantage - early 90's £300 player versus £3k player
with 15 years of technological advances incorporated.  Needless to say I was knocked sideways by the difference in
A) musicality
B) vocal precision
C) warmth
D) sound stage 
The Droplet was stunning and I had no hesitation in paying the full asking price of £1350 (new set of £300 (DR) tubes inc)

Anyway, as you like minded folk will understand this led me to start thinking about the HD800's - headphones I've
been ignoring because of the price tag for some time.  Then a website starts doing deals if you buy the 'new' sugden
headphone amp too.  Anyway, I forked out the dosh only to be (at first) disappointed with the HD800's which to
me sounded bass light and mid-treble happy.  with over 100 hours burn in they're sounding more like it.. I think my
ears needed time to adjust from the more cluttered mid range on the 650's I was used to.

Anyway, the HA4 will arrive Monday and after I've done some extensive listening I'll report back on improvements
I can hear over the headmaster.... if any!

Cheers!

p.s. Sorry to Grado fans for no mention - my hearing tires easily so I've always preferred the laid back Senny sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back