Novice here! Questions regarding portable DAC/AMP, Venturecraft R627
Dec 10, 2014 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Lufenia

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first post here on the forums, please forgive me if I am doing anything wrong in regards to the rules and guidelines.

As mentioned, I am a complete novice and I have just recently taken the first step into the audiophile world.

I have been using Venturecraft's Typhoon R627 + Iphone 4s (with LOD) combo for a few months, and finally swapped out the Iphone with something that has a larger memory capacity.

I swapped out the Iphone with an Ipod classic (6th gen 2nd).  

My question is: why does the classic sound so much different compared to the 4s? I thought that the internal DAC for both of the devices would be bypassed and as a result, there should be no difference in the sound quality.  What am I misunderstanding?   

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm confused - you said you are using an LOD from the idevice - do you mean an dock to 3.5mm stereo line-out cable? Or do you mean a dock to USB cable that is connected to the Typhoon R627 idevice USB input?

The first bypasses the amp, but not the DAC of the idevice. The second bypasses both the amp & DAC.

In either case, did you carefully volume match between them?

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 3
Ah, sorry, should of made it clear, Dock to USB.

I figured out what was causing the difference!  I haven't synced my phone with Itunes for a while due to vacation and I forgot I replaced a lot of albums with higher quality formats!

Thank you for confirming that I wasn't being paranoid. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back