Nottingham meet UK 27th Feb
Feb 27, 2005 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

MrJoshua

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone!

I must be the first person back home, so I thought I'd start this thread!

It was great meeting everyone today, I had a fantastic time!

Photos to follow!

Thank you!

Feb 27, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 62
Just a quick thanks to every body for turning up today, what a great day. Also thanks to Ivy at Headroom for sending over the equipment and answering the ton of questions I had for her - the BlockHead has now visited the shores of Europe. Also thanks to Mike (Pinkfloyd) for sending over the WNA Mkll. Thanks to Bangraman for the raffle prize (well done Amit) and for every body contributing to get gear sent back

Will post more later.

Thanks

Kirk

Feb 27, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 62
Feb 27, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 62
Somebody's hand has a nice "glow" in the image 20. Is it a magic touch or did he get electrocuted by the phones?
wink.gif

Care to identify the fellow head-fiers?

Feb 27, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 62
Sorry, but as I have said before, I'm terrible with names, so I'll leave that to someone else!

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 62
I don't think that's him
confused.gif

Feb 27, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 62
Feb 27, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
Do we have the mysterious mr. Bangraman in image 16?

Nope, that isn't Bangraman
tongue.gif

I'll confess now, its me that is prominent in image 17
redface.gif

Was a great meet today, was brilliant to see loads of new faces, and listen to some new equipment... one item of which I have (well, will be imminently
tongue.gif
)bought... More on that in the headphones forum shortly
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 62
Both threads now merged together... doesn't look to have upset the flow of things.

...back to moderating duties again
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 62
I'd like to thank Captain for his hospitality and the great food. We were talking in the car about the favourite things of the day, and for me it was mushroom quiche followed by the rest
biggrin.gif

I'll keep my comments brief.

I like the PS-1, but I wasn't blown away by my brief audition. However, I think tracking back the comments it's very possible that I heard the PS-1 out of the least suitable combination. If the Qualia doesn't come back sounding 'right', the PS-1 may be worth a go. The EarMax Pro Anniversary edition also was a notable, and I thought it was a nice partner with the ATH-W2002.

The Blockhead was very good, and I would definitely need more time spent with it to concrete my opinions of it, but I felt that the Blockhead+HD650 simply made the most of the HD650's capabilities but did not catapault it into a whole new plane of being... Although the HD650 was as ever it's agreeable self, I thought it was still very much an HD650, warts and all. I felt the scaling of the DT880 was technically more appropriate to the Blockhead than the HD650 in a comparison between the two.

I also felt that sort of doing a virtual venn diagram in my head of the response given by the HD650, DT880 and RS-1, it made me think that the Blockhead would make an excellent statement amp for the Qualia 010 if the specific problem I've experienced with the Q010 itself can be made to go away. This is completely speculation at this stage, but the sense of measured power felt with the Blockhead may well counteract the tendency of the Qualia to be over-fussy, and let it be a more 'effortless' phone while keeping the technical capability intact.

I've listened to the Max before and I liked it as usual. A very capable amp, and in terms of how it sounds, even compared to the DIY high-end amps I think it's reasonably priced.

I deliberately didn't go near the portable amps, because I really don't want to accumulate any more.

Feb 27, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
it made me think that the Blockhead would make an excellent statement amp for the Qualia 010 if the specific problem I've experienced with the Q010 itself can be made to go away. This is completely speculation at this stage, but the sense of measured power felt with the Blockhead may well counteract the tendency of the Qualia to be over-fussy, and let it be a more 'effortless' phone while keeping the technical capability intact.

don't expect too much though... I don't find the Qualia and the BlockHead to be a good match. it goes better with the Balanced Reference (and from that, I speculate a balanced dynahi would be even better?).

I brought a HeadAmp Balanced Reference, HeadRoom BlockHead (stepped attenuators with 2004 reference module), balanced HD650, and a balanced Qualia 010 to the San Mateo meet, and I believe a few people compared the various configurations so look out for those impressions. I'll post some in there myself, but after I've listened to the rigs again.

Feb 28, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #15 of 62
Great meet! I really enjoyed it
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks to Captain (Kirk) for hosting the meet, and providing such fantastic food
smily_headphones1.gif
. And thanks to everyone for being so friendly, and sharing their equipment and knowledge.

I've posted some pictutres here. Please let me know if I've got anything wrong in the captions. Also, apologies to the chap in IMG_1684.JPG, I can't remember your name
frown.gif
. I'd be grateful if someone could let em know, and I'll update the caption.

It's late now, so I'm off to get some sleep. I'll post my thoughts in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back