Notifications
Feb 12, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 12
bump - definitely not receiving notifications. I checked my options and it was set to notify, and even changed it, saved, and changed it back, but still not receiving any.

Is there perhaps a problem with the forum software?

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 12
I haven't been getting them reliably the last couple of days. I thought it was me
confused.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe this is related.. I had a couple of PM notifications that got sent to my spam folder (in Gmail) today for some reason.

Yeah I went and had a look today and there they were. I've been getting them with no issues until today.

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 12
Hmm, I don't even have any notifications in the spam folder (gmail). I wonder if it's some cookie issue.

Another thing I've been noticing is that when I click "New Posts" it often makes me wait 30 seconds even if I haven't been here for hours or even a day or more. That's been going on longer than the notification problem. I sense buggy forum software, but maybe it's a firesux problem. I'll post to a thread from chromium and see if I get any notifications for that.

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 12
I checked my gmail spam folder and found nothing from head-fi. Strange

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 12
I noticed the same thing and mine where in my gmail spam folder as well. I believe the way gmail handles spam is it uses user info of mail being manually marked as spam to feed its engine, if only a few users (probably just one) went through and mark a large number of notifications as spam then it would likely mark them as spam for other users.

I recommend marking them as "not spam" to help the engine identify them correctly in the future.

Other reasons could be that gmail changed a threshold in there engine, or Head-Fi changed something on their end. The only change I see in the headers is that the email content type changed
Old email: Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
New email: Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

That alone should not cause anything however I noticed the subject line gets a good bit of UTF-8 decorations now too.

Subject: =?UTF-8?q?Reply_to_thread_=27Gamma-2_=28=CE=B32=29_DAC_Thread=27?=

That could make gmail flag it.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed the same thing and mine where in my gmail spam folder as well. I believe the way gmail handles spam is it uses user info of mail being manually marked as spam to feed its engine, if only a few users (probably just one) went through and mark a large number of notifications as spam then it would likely mark them as spam for other users.

I recommend marking them as "not spam" to help the engine identify them correctly in the future.

Other reasons could be that gmail changed a threshold in there engine, or Head-Fi changed something on their end. The only change I see in the headers is that the email content type changed
Old email: Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
New email: Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

That alone should not cause anything however I noticed the subject line gets a good bit of UTF-8 decorations now too.

Subject: =?UTF-8?q?Reply_to_thread_=27Gamma-2_=28=CE=B32=29_DAC_Thread=27?=

That could make gmail flag it.

Yeah, UTF-8 should be okay, but maybe the subject line cr4p could do it. I still don't have anything in my spam folder, though. I'm going to change my head-fi email to a non-gmail account and see if I get notifications there. That will at least tell if it's a gmail problem with the new head-fi headers.

p.s. I noticed head-fi just lowered the amount of PMs to 50. Wasn't it 100 before? Lol - this site is getting bad.
tongue.gif

>> EDIT: They're showing up in my non-gmail account, so it must be something to do with gmail and the new headers! Good detective work, m1abrams!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back