Nothing new here. Just a satisfied Bifrost user.
Jun 10, 2016 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Airwolf

Head-Fier
I recently upgraded from using onboard sound on my PC to a Schiit Bifrost Uber USB that I purchased used from another user here.  I just wanted to say that I am shocked at how much of a difference it made going from using my PC as a DAC to switching to this Bifrost.  My motherboard is an ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 with a Realtek ALC1150 chipset and ASUS' Crystal Sound II audio spec, which is supposed to use shielded components and japanese caps.  I was outputting from this to a Schiit Asgard 2 amp with my HE-400's and HD-650's. I always thought they could sound better but I was hesitant to move to an external DAC because I didn't want my CPU to get taxed in the process.  In the past, I have run some lower quality sound cards that significantly affected my frame rates when playing games.  I was more recently using a Sound Blaster ZxR outputting to my Asgard 2, but I could no longer use it with my current build due to the card blocking the air flow of my graphics cards.  I decided to go ahead with the Bifrost and do some testing to see if it was going to have any effect on performance.  I can safely say that it had no adverse effect on performance, but it did have a very positive effect on audio quality.  I have noticed that I hear a lot of details in my music that I was missing before, as well as a significant increase in bass.  Additionally, I have noticed the same increase in audio detail when playing games like Battlefield 4.  It doesn't sound like an audio assault of nonsense anymore.  Each sound effect is separate and distinguishable.  It honestly helps me play because I can hear what is going on around more clearly and it gives me better situational awareness.

I know that my description of the results of this DAC is weak at best, but I just hope that another person who has always relied on PC manufacturers like ASUS and Creative for their audio needs to take the plunge and give a nice audiophile grade DAC like the Bifrost a try.  Considering some of the high end audio solutions from the aforementioned manufacturers can cost as much as a used Bifrost, it's definitely worth having a look.

Jun 12, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 10
Jun 12, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #6 of 10
Ofcourse it will:wink:. According to lot of folks who upgraded.

I saw the thread you linked.  I just cant bring myself to read through 373 posts haha.  Is there any kind of TL;DR for Uber -> 4490?  Or even Uber -> Multibit?

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 10
From the linked thread. These two quotes about sum it up:

"I have been running my 4490 upgrade for about 5 days now, coming from Uber (have had Uber for about 2.5 years). I can say the biggest difference for me has been a change in the upper end. Say normally a high-hat during a busy song on my HD600s would end up as more of a metallic, less focused, less clear sound. With 4490, I've noticed these sounds have become very obviously more focused, clearer and crisper overall. I have also noticed it's slightly easier for me to understand vocals. It seems to just be a cleaner, focused, and maybe slightly smoother sound overall. I didn't notice any change in the lower end or differences in sound stage, personally, but not saying there isn't. I'd disagree to the notion that this upgrade is not anything as significant of an upgrade as Uber was. I feel that it's roughly similar in terms of overall improvement."

"I've been running the 4490 for about a week. I'm very use to the Uber, as I've been running it since it's release. The 4490 has lost most of the treble grain found in the Uber. The 4490 seems to dig out more details in the music(from bass thru treble). The low end feels more impactful. The stage feels more forward & a bit higher. I'm also noticing more vocal fluctuations, and just better layering of all the sound.

$70. is Stupid cheap for this level of performance."

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 10
From the linked thread. These two quotes about sum it up:

"I have been running my 4490 upgrade for about 5 days now, coming from Uber (have had Uber for about 2.5 years). I can say the biggest difference for me has been a change in the upper end. Say normally a high-hat during a busy song on my HD600s would end up as more of a metallic, less focused, less clear sound. With 4490, I've noticed these sounds have become very obviously more focused, clearer and crisper overall. I have also noticed it's slightly easier for me to understand vocals. It seems to just be a cleaner, focused, and maybe slightly smoother sound overall. I didn't notice any change in the lower end or differences in sound stage, personally, but not saying there isn't. I'd disagree to the notion that this upgrade is not anything as significant of an upgrade as Uber was. I feel that it's roughly similar in terms of overall improvement."

"I've been running the 4490 for about a week. I'm very use to the Uber, as I've been running it since it's release. The 4490 has lost most of the treble grain found in the Uber. The 4490 seems to dig out more details in the music(from bass thru treble). The low end feels more impactful. The stage feels more forward & a bit higher. I'm also noticing more vocal fluctuations, and just better layering of all the sound.

$70. is Stupid cheap for this level of performance."
There you go Airwolf. Nice upgrade for nice price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back